Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TS paints thinner? No help in "search"

EvoVI
05-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Mates, i am going to spray the Tamiya TS paints using my airbrush. So can you tell me what type of solvent i shall use to clear the airbrush. Because alcohol and White Spirit seem to be the wrong ones. Acetone maybe?

PS Finally returned to my hobby, now i am finishing this bloody Castrol Mugen NSX the biggest pain in the... i have ever had )))

R40
05-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Yes, pure acetone is perfect.

gionc
05-03-2006, 01:54 AM
Yes, pure acetone is perfect.

Hey Evo VI place this post on a frame: we'll see something more from the master next year I guess, at least you'll sell on e-bay :grinyes:

Also Nitro-solvent is good and smell much better to me (well not so much :))

bvia
05-03-2006, 02:08 AM
Gunze's Mr. Thinner.

EvoVI
05-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks for help, guys. I ll try acetone. Branded thinners don't do for me because there are a few hobby shops in Moscow and you can hardly find anything except Tamiya and Revell goods. Moreover it is rather expensive to my mind to use the branded thinner to clear the tools.

gionc
05-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks for help, guys. I ll try acetone. Branded thinners don't do for me because there are a few hobby shops in Moscow and you can hardly find anything except Tamiya and Revell goods. Moreover it is rather expensive to my mind to use the branded thinner to clear the tools.

I express bad myself with the cap. : nitro isn't a brand is just the standard "toluene" (I haven't a translation) hot solvent you'll find in all hardstores :)

EvoVI
05-03-2006, 02:58 AM
I express bad myself with the cap. : nitro isn't a brand is just the standard "toluene" (I haven't a translation) hot solvent you'll find in all hardstores :)

Oh, no, gionc, i am talking about "Gunze's Mr. Thinner." )))

RallyRaider
05-03-2006, 03:25 AM
No need to use branded hobby thinners. Just go to an automotive paint supply store and pick up some laquer thinners. It'll do the trick as well as Gunze (now called GSI Creos) or Tamiya's stuff.

klutz_100
05-04-2006, 04:58 AM
Excuse me EvoVI for jumping in here with an additional question. I also asked this question a year agoe but never got a definitive answer :)

Bvia - the guy in my LHS told me not to use Mr. Leveling Thinner with TS paints as they are different kinds of paints. I'm more inclined to trust you though!! You sure on this?

Phil and anyone - What the f**k is laquer thinners? :lol:
Abstractly I know of course and I read about it all the time here on AF but the reality here in Poland is that I can't just go into an auto store and ask for a 6-pack of laquer thinners - they barely sell Motip spray cans :banghead:
Can anyone give me some idea of the chemical compound of these thinners? What octane (or whatever ;) ) is it? Maybe I can find something similar here using it's chemical name....

RallyRaider
05-04-2006, 05:11 AM
I have used Mr Leveling Thinner with TS paints. Works a treat, dunno what your hobby shop guy was on about. :dunno:

A good question, exactly what is in lacquer thinner? Appears to be a mix of keytones, hydrocarbons, acetone, toluene and other really nasty stuff. Each manufacturer's formulation is probably a little different but mostly perform the same.

Sure you may not find lacquer thinner in an auto store (although many you will) but surely you have automotive paint supply stores? The type that supply body repair garages and can mix up industrial quantities if need be. You won't find them in the mall, you'll have to search them out in the phonebook. If they carry paints like PPG, Standox or Glasurit then they can help you.

klutz_100
05-04-2006, 05:30 AM
I have used Mr Leveling Thinner with TS paints. Works a treat, dunno what your hobby shop guy was on about. :dunno:
Thanks. That's what I thought ;) As the saying goes "If you really want to know....don't ask your LHS" :rofl:

You won't find them in the mall, you'll have to search them out in the phonebook. If they carry paints like PPG, Standox or Glasurit then they can help you.
Been there, done that :)
I even spoke on the phone to the PPG guy in Poland and enquired about the thinners Leon @ Cobra Colors recommends on his web site. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about ?!?! :banghead:
I swear to God, this is a wierd country!! :)

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-04-2006, 08:16 AM
To clear up any confusion so far about mixing vs. cleaning the airbrush, Gunze Mr. Thinner is great to mix w/TS paints to airbrush more smoothly if necessary. With my setup my TS paints seem to require a few drops of the Mr. Thinner to lay down as smoothly as if they were applied directly from the spray can. The main reason to airbrush is more control, laying on the paint in thinner layers and the ease of painting tight areas without loading up surrounding areas with too much paint.

Acetone is great for cleaning the airbrush afterwards; I have no idea if it will mix with the paint for proper spraying as I haven't tried that. Many lacquer thinners also work for simple cleaning and work with some paints as a decent thinner. Acetone/lacquer thinners are not only better for cleaning the airbrush, but exponentially more economical than using a branded thinner like Mr. Thinner.

gionc
05-04-2006, 08:33 AM
What I guess is acetone or toluene (we call nitro, not the kind for RC beasts ;) ) could be quetly HOT for plastic usage, compare as TS thinner they sell for primer or TS laquers. Or at least you'll use a sealer under the primer.

I find out in the hardstore a synthetic thinner (at least the TS are synthetic laquer, aren't they?) that smell damn like the TS thinner and cost less than 2 eur for 1 liter: I know they (TAMY an Gunze) have to pay a lot for hazardous goods from Japan to our facilities but 8 eur for 400 ml seem too much.

Well at leas I haven't until now the needed courage to try it as a thinner but I'll finish soon my few bucks :) so I'll try on a quick project

bvia
05-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Excuse me EvoVI for jumping in here with an additional question. I also asked this question a year agoe but never got a definitive answer :)

Bvia - the guy in my LHS told me not to use Mr. Leveling Thinner with TS paints as they are different kinds of paints. I'm more inclined to trust you though!! You sure on this?..

Klutz,
I use Gunze Mr Color Leveling Thinner for ALL my paints. This includes Tamiya TS (synthetic lacquers) and Tamiya acrylics, Testors and MM enamels (although I usually suse MM thinner for these) and lacquers and PPG 2 part auto clears.

The ONLY paint I found it to react badly to was Vallejo acrylics...

The easiest way to get a definitive answer is to decant a little bit of the TS paint you want and add some thinner to it, mix it up and see what happens...;-)>

I also find that Tamiya acrylic is much more durable when using the gunze thinner.

hth,
Bill

bvia
05-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Oh crap...The original poster wanted to know what to use to clean his airbrush...DOH! for that I always use what my 1:1 auto pros use when cleaning THEIR small airbrushes...B12 Chemtool Carb Spray cleaner.
Works perfectly and does not affect my A470.

Sorry for the confusion!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Lusitano
05-05-2006, 06:47 AM
I use mainly regular "hardware-store grade" cellulose thinner for cleaning the airbrush. It is NOT "very healthy" to say the least and is quite volatile, but very effective with the Tamiya TS range and automotive paints (such as Standox) and polyurethane gloss coats. Not to be used without proper breathing protection and ventilation!:nono:

For reducing the automotive paints and gloss coats I use the thinners (different!) recommended by the auto-paint store.

Cheers,
Luis

Add your comment to this topic!