Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bought Fujimi Veilside S-15 today

OPI M.
07-19-2002, 04:01 PM
first:hi Folks!

i'm new here,but looking to the forum since a few months,awesome cars you are building here.

so like i wrote in the topic,i bought this kit.pretty happy with it,since it was hard to get for me:D

i don't wanna make any things wrong with it,the last model i built like 6 years ago,so i have no vlue what i need to make the result looking good.maybe the pro's in here could give me some advise;)

and a question:since i only can get tamiya colors here,which one would look nice on the silvia?

and can i paint small chassis parts by brush?

thx for your help:)

TheSyndicate
07-19-2002, 04:25 PM
Can't really help you out, but I can say that I find it easier to spray paint the chassis. Just give it a while to fully bond before gluing anything to it.

OPI M.
07-19-2002, 04:41 PM
that where my former mistakes..to earlie glued the parts,so fucked up some kits.

how does this kit / fujimi ktis fit?hope fine...

flyonthewall
07-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Welcome!:) Well done on reaching the world cup final:D

Take your time with your model and you wont got far wrong. The guys on here are very friendly and give good advice so listen to them;) . Dont be afraid to ask questions no matter how trivial, we like to help and we like to see pics too, lots of them:) .

patate
07-19-2002, 05:08 PM
color hem ts-52 I think it gonna look good in this color.

mario:D

daggerlee
07-19-2002, 05:30 PM
TS-52? That's candy lime green! I'm painting my Kawasaki ZX-12R lime green...:alien2:

patate
07-19-2002, 05:34 PM
yes I think it's one of the coolest green I ever see

mario:D

primera man
07-19-2002, 05:39 PM
http://www.gifs.net/animate/welcome.gif

What about black??
Spray the chassis as it is a lot quicker :)

OPI M.
07-19-2002, 05:47 PM
black would be nice.i don't like the original veilside color:Di thought about dark blue,black,light grey or white.all nice decent colors.

yes i will spray chassis,but engine,exhaust and very small part are maybe better to brush on the tree?:) i really don't know;)

primera man
07-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by OPI M.

yes i will spray chassis,but engine,exhaust and very small part are maybe better to brush on the tree?:) i really don't know;)

Yep....do all the smaller parts by brush and leave them on the tree when doing them...but cut off as much as you can so each part is only being held on by 1-2 bits

OPI M.
07-19-2002, 06:40 PM
understood sir:D

but i have no clue what to do with the body before painting.

;) i want a great result,so i have to ask:D

primera man
07-19-2002, 10:07 PM
understood sir:D

but i have no clue what to do with the body before painting.

;) i want a great result,so i have to ask:D

This is what works best for me.....
Make sure you sand the car well...removing molding lines etc. Finish off with 1200 grit paper.
Before painting, heat the can up in hot water for 10 minutes so it flows better from the can.
2 Coats of white primer. First coat very light, the second so that it covers the model. Dont be to fussy if it still looks a bit "see-though"
Leave for a week to harden the primmer.

3-4 Coats of finish coat about 5-10 minutes apart....thats it...nice a simple.(keep the can warm)
The first coat is a vey light mist coat...the paint should only just be landing on the car.
Do the same for the second coat
The third coat you can spray a bit more heavy.
The last coat is the one you want to get perfect.
I always spray the front and rear bumpers first...then both sides along the whole length of the car body.
Then the last bit i do is the bonnet/boot and roof last

Dont bother sanding between coats as i dont really see the point...all you are doing is making more dust and removing half the paint you have just stick on.
After you have finished the last coat...leave for 10-12 days.......rub with some compound then finish with a wax.

Or....you can look in the FAQ
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t45619.html
:)

TheSyndicate
07-19-2002, 10:52 PM
Rubbing compound right? I was looking at a bottle of 3m rubbing compound that is supposed to "remove 1500 grit sanding scratches", but then I remembred that someone on here said its 'cutting compound'.

I'm not too sure, so is it rubbing or cutting? If it's rubbing then I'll go buy the 3m stuff and give it a try. I just ruined a coat of transparent candy apple red on my camaro because I was attempting to remove the orange peel with 1500grit sandpaper :(

djmr2
07-19-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by TheSyndicate
Rubbing compound right? I was looking at a bottle of 3m rubbing compound that is supposed to "remove 1500 grit sanding scratches", but then I remembred that someone on here said its 'cutting compound'.

I'm not too sure, so is it rubbing or cutting? If it's rubbing then I'll go buy the 3m stuff and give it a try. I just ruined a coat of transparent candy apple red on my camaro because I was attempting to remove the orange peel with 1500grit sandpaper :(

i have that 3m stuff also... it works pretty good i would say, but i've only tried it on automotive lacquer sprays...

what do u mean ruined? did u rub too hard? and went thru to the primer? i have used 1500 to remove orange peel just fine.

TheSyndicate
07-19-2002, 11:35 PM
I suppose not 'ruined' in such that sense, but I rubbed some paint off high points and corners. It shouldn't be too bad. I'll go over it tomorrow with some more spray paint.

Forhod
07-20-2002, 02:02 AM
Sorry.. late about this but.....

:wave: Welcome to AF :wave:

Veilside are suppose to be silver.. hmm....but afterall.. black isn't a bad idea! :D

bri g
07-20-2002, 02:15 AM
The problem with black is that you can't really see the body kit (which is what makes veilside stand out) too well. I would go with some sort of light gunmetal or silver. I'm working on that kit right now and it needs a lot of work:(

OPI M.
07-20-2002, 09:35 AM
thx for the tips.what primmer is best in your opppinion?should be available in germany;)

OPI M.
07-20-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by bri g
The problem with black is that you can't really see the body kit (which is what makes veilside stand out) too well. I would go with some sort of light gunmetal or silver. I'm working on that kit right now and it needs a lot of work:(
i'Ve got summer holidays for 6 weeks now so i have time to make it:D

i think a light blue with a silver touch owuld be quiet nice:)

Wishmaster
07-20-2002, 10:10 AM
Or try the opposite.. First 2 coats of silver then 2 coats of light blue, if Í it comes out as I think, it should be light blue with a little metallic like look. But ask for confirmation first from others before trying...

And W E L C O M E ! ! !

(yes that was LIME GREEN :D:D:D)

Greetz
Stefan

bri g
07-20-2002, 10:27 AM

i'Ve got summer holidays for 6 weeks now so i have time to make it:D

i think a light blue with a silver touch owuld be quiet nice:)

blue would definitely work too! just look at P-man's vielside rx7 at the gallery :) If you have any questions about the kit, let me know and maybe I can help you out with them.

OPI M.
07-20-2002, 10:30 AM
yes,i have a question.my kit is still in the box,nothing done to it

have you tried how the parts fit?is it a good kit:Di want to know..i spend a lot of money in this one;)

bri g
07-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Well here in the Philippines, the selection is few but the prices are good. I got mine for approximately US$20 or so. regarding the fit, the rear skirt fits pretty good, the side skirts need a lot of work! both edges stick out into the front and back wheel well. the front skirt fits okay but also needs a lot of work. I really don't mind though because it's a veilside and it's going to look good when finished. Those rims are great too!

OPI M.
07-20-2002, 01:40 PM
thx for info...so i have to work a bit:D
but no prob..i want a good result..

Snooker
07-20-2002, 03:24 PM
Finally another german guy has come to af.com! I own this kit, too, did you buy it @ nimpex.de? (so fuckinī expensive, about 40 € with shipping) I paint the kit in TS-17, the fitment is ok, but the "Seitenschweller" (I donīt know the english word at the moment :D) needs some work, itīs a bit too long.

If you need a product of Tamiya, write an e-mail to kathi@frankhauser.de (in german, of course). She has nearly everyting of Tamiya, but she needs the article numbers (look @ www.hlj.com). If you have more questions or didnīt understand everything, PM me in german.

OPI M.
07-20-2002, 06:31 PM
thx man;)

to make the "seitenschweller" or lets say side skirts fit good shouldn't be a big problem.and thx for the email adresse,could be useful:)

i wanted to order it@ nimpex,but it wasn'T avilable anymore:(

so i had to get it t ebay,for 45€ + 6€ for "shipping";)

very expensive and i will train n a cheaper tamiya kit before making the silvia.;)

do you have icq or msn?:)

Snooker
07-21-2002, 05:10 AM
I just added you on ICQ. If you want to try a cheaper kit for training, get the Subaru Impreza, itīs a very easy kit.

OPI M.
07-23-2002, 01:18 PM
snooker,i have some questions,please come in icq;)
bought primer today,white one,think it is good:)

and some sand paper (right word for it in english)..so just wait fopr the kit to be shipped,will buy a tamiya kit to practice tomorrow..

OPI M.
07-24-2002, 07:08 AM
bought a practice model today,a tamiya subaru impreaz wrc (sponsor arai) @ local toy shop.only shop in the whole 500000 ppl city where i can get tamiya models...:(

i'll start it tomrrow

OPM
07-25-2002, 10:47 AM
ok,primmed the impreza today..only the body,not the underbody or details

the underbod will be primmed later,should i do it with the small parts,too?

OPM
07-25-2002, 11:14 AM
lol my sec account i use weeks ago is working again:eek: :D :rolleyes: :bloated:

Add your comment to this topic!