Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS issues 97 Bravada

DeeRider
04-29-2006, 07:44 PM
The other day my ABS light came on . After restarting it went off and about the 3rd time I went for the brakes, the peddle would not depress and would not stop. After a few seconds it finally gave way and I was able to stop. This happened several times later in the day but always shortly after starting to drive. The last time it happened the abs light was off and you could feel the peddle kicking back like the abs was working, even though we were on dry roads, and made a loud noise. Any clues what might be causing this? When the abs light is on solid this does not happen.

Thanks,
Dee

ericn1300
04-29-2006, 09:36 PM
if you have both an ABS light on and a real world, noticable physical problem with the braking system, STOP DRIVING THE VEHICLE NOW. you might be able to limp it over to your local tire and brake shop safely if you drive real carefully and the emegencey brake is in tune. properly functioning brakes are really important, and used on most days frequently.

tmclaughlin
04-29-2006, 11:13 PM
it might be your wheel bearings. i had the same problem and that is what it turned out to be

Chris Stewart
04-30-2006, 10:00 AM
if you have both an ABS light on and a real world, noticable physical problem with the braking system, STOP DRIVING THE VEHICLE NOW. you might be able to limp it over to your local tire and brake shop safely if you drive real carefully and the emegencey brake is in tune. properly functioning brakes are really important, and used on most days frequently.

I totally agree with Eric!
Your brakes have to function 100% of the time no question!!!!!
The '97 computer will have to be scanned to get the code then determine what's wrong and driving from one auto parts store to another is too dangerous, it's very possible you could end up the cause of a major wreck with fatalities. Unless I could get some braking restored, I'd call a rollback wrecker to deliver mine to a brake shop and let the experts fix this most critical component.:)

DeeRider
04-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Funny part of this story,,, We just got the car back the day before from bein it's state inspection. We had to replace both rear rotors. We had previously replaced both front bearings due to wear and had an abs problem when one of the speed sensor wires broke. We fixed the wire and have had no problems till this one. I borrowed a buick park avenue from my work till I could get the Bravada inspected and the same brake issue happened, at the same location. I found that kinda odd. When the ABS light came on the first time several months ago from the torn wire, we took it to autozone to have the codes checked. They said they could not check abs codes only check engine. I saw a previous post about testing on your own for the code. Is that possible on a 97?

Note, thei 1st garage I took the car to for inspection, it failed and they quoted a $1300 bill said the following was wrong. Rep;lace both back rotors due to rust, both motor mounts torn need replaced. front upper and lower balljoints need replaced, ujoint bad, driveshaft rusty, parking brake not holding. After about a month sitting, we replaced the rotors, one was rusted to the hub, and another garage just said the lower balljoints needed replaced. All the other items were not even mentioned. Total bill after warrenty paid their part $167. I love 2nd opinions. First thing we noticed at the first garage, 2 brand new wreckers and new work trucks. Hmm, wonder where they get that money....

Dee

ericn1300
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM
First thing we noticed at the first garage, 2 brand new wreckers and new work trucks. Hmm, wonder where they get that money....
Dee

did you peek around back of the shop and check out the rest of their toys, like new boats and new snowmobiles too?

one of my rants against state vehicle inspections is that the inspector should not have a monetary intrest in the out come of the inspection. when the inspector is allowed to make the mandated repairs it's a conflict of interest. of course the inspector is going to find a lot of expensive problems to repair if he thinks his shop will get the work. good for you in getting the second opinion.

out west here (where the men are men... and so are the women) we did away with scheduled inspections on all vehicles and only do surprise and random inspections on commercial vehicles over 10,000 lbs GVW (including you navigator and humvee owners) at the weigh stations and with seasonal roadblocks, particulary during harvest season when every truck that can be started is put in use. the inspections are done by state police officers that have no other intrest than the public saftey, in theory anyway. some might have a relative that's a mechanic in need of a new 50" plasma tv.

by the way, i had a chance to test the bravada's ABS the other day while traveling with the cruise control on at 79.5 MPH. i was able to slam on the brakes and steer out of trouble, avoiding what turned out to be a three car pile up.

Add your comment to this topic!