Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Glue question

Sob
07-19-2002, 12:05 AM
Ok, I've done a search on "glue" and turned out hundreds of threads. What I've learned is...

1) tube glue is bad. Ok, I don't get this one 'cause I use it extensively. I can see the 'sloppy' part, but if you use those tips and toothpics everything can turn out fine.

2) super glue is good. Ok, I saw that. But I also saw that "super glue is only as strong a bond as the paint is to the plastic". Ok, so super glue on painted parts is out.

3) liquid glue in a jar is best. Ok, never used this, but have seen it around. Don't have anything to say about it.

4) krystal klear for windows. Yep, got that.

Ok, the question is, help me out! I use tube glue, is that bad? Is there something easier that I don't know about? The faq on the top just skimms over the glue issue. Thank you in advance for your help!

crab
07-19-2002, 12:48 AM
ah... all glues will give u problems... just depends on how u use it... liquid glue is especially bad IMO if you use it to join two parts that don't really fit nicely, and once u clamp the two parts together it just squishes out the glue and stuff... pretty nasty....

BUT it is easier to manage than tube glue... I normally use tube glue with a toothpick on areas that could not be seen from the outside (engine, under the seats, etc.). If you find you're still making a mess with a toothpick, try using a sewing needle instead :)

Lownslow
07-19-2002, 01:27 AM
try Tenax 7R this works extremely well and it dries fast i use this on joints and complicated engine pieces i use a seringe or a paint brush to apply to where the peices join

flyonthewall
07-19-2002, 04:28 AM
I use the Revel sort that has the precision nozzle - like a hyperdermic needle. These are good and there are many different makes. I also use the liquid stuff in a jar but apply it with a fine paint brush for more control.

primera man
07-19-2002, 07:48 AM
I used to use a tube but it was to messy for my liking so i'm a jar person now.
Use the brush on the larger areas, and a toothpick on smaller parts.

jaykit21
07-19-2002, 08:07 AM
I use super glue for everything except for clear parts. Its awesome. Part are bonded within 5 minutes. The liquid glue isn't that great IMO. It really doesn't bond the parts, it melts them together. So, if you have to go back and reassemble something, liquid glue can make this a frustrating situation. Super glue is good. I like a little bit on my cereal in the morning! Extra flavors.:silly2: :bonghitte :bloated:

Jay!
07-19-2002, 03:53 PM
This thread has a link to an old SAE article about glues that I thought was pretty helpful...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6897

Add your comment to this topic!