Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

white smoke

fbi-interceptor
04-29-2006, 07:54 AM
ok well ive been getting some white smoke out of the exhaust. usually if im sitting at a light or stop sign then proceed i seem to notice it. i was thinking it was oil seeping into the rings and burning off. i recently bought some lucas oil additive and was hopeing it will make my rings swell up and possibly stop the smoke. so if you have any idea how to fix and what problem you may think i have i would appreciate it. and i was wondering what problems if any i may encounter down the road from this.

ModMech
04-29-2006, 10:52 AM
That is typical of a pre'96 4.6L with high mileage.

Rest assured that is is NOT from rings or any engine wear, but from hardened valve-stem seals that seap a little, especially during coasting up to a stop sign/light.

The "fix" is to install new valve stem seals, but this is not eaxactly a DIY job, although it can definately be done.

fbi-interceptor
04-30-2006, 07:33 AM
thanks mod mech, hey how much do u think it would cost me to get it done at a garage? how much work is actually involved? and what do you think about lucas products?

ModMech
04-30-2006, 10:32 AM
1) It's about an 8 hr job, give or take. You could do it much faster, IF you do it often - and very few people do.

2) Remove valve covers, Remove Valve springs (w/special tool), R&I seal, Install springs, Install valve covers. The hard (frusterating part) is the removal and installation of the valve spring keepers.

3) Panther piss, worthless oil thickener. In a Modular Ford enigne (4.6, 5.4, 6.8L) thick oil = BAD.

Add your comment to this topic!