Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Avalanche as a ranch truck?

NM_HighPlains
04-28-2006, 08:25 PM
I manage my family's ranch in New Mexico and am eyeballing 2 rigs, one of which is an Avalanche. I want to use it for light duty ranch work (light trailer hauling, running around to check water, etc) and use my Ford F250 4WD HD for the heavy stuff. The Ford absolutely beats me to death on our 2-track roads (and there are a LOT of them- it's 14 miles from corner to corner). We will also use the truck as a road truck on trips of 150 miles or so, another place where the Ford doesn't do so good (no cruise, manual tranny, etc). It takes 10 miles of dirt road from our house to pavement and the truck will be used a LOT on dirt roads. I have 3 kids and a wife and we REALLY need the 4 doors.

1) In your opinion, how well will an Avalanche hold up to this kind of driving?

2) I have not actually LOOKED at one yet (like I said....long ways to town)- does the rear cover fold up to where I can load an ATV or dirt bikes in the back?

Thanks!

TaNK_Em
05-03-2006, 09:42 AM
They seem to be a pretty good vehicle, As far as all of the driving just a question do you plan on purchasing one with 4wd or not you don’t want to get stuck out there. I think for this light/medium duty driving it would be fine. A guy on my fire department has one and it seems to be pretty good. As far as the rear cover goes I was looking over one at my work and it appears that that cover can fold up so you will probably be able to put something back there what I don’t know I’m not sure of the load ratting. What else are you looking at getting besides the Avalanche?

- Kevin

NM_HighPlains
05-03-2006, 09:56 AM
4WD- absolutely, gotta have that.

Other trucks I'm looking at: Dodge Ram, 4WD, 4dr, Auto, gas. We've had Fords forever and I'm just tired of being beat to death by those F250 heavy duty things. I'll still have an F250 for big stuff, but my intention is to use a lighter truck for simple running around in the pasture, pulling light trailers, road work, etc.

TaNK_Em
05-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah I figured you needed 4x4, as far as rather getting a dodge pickup or a avalanche I guess its really your call. And when you say beating beat to death are you talking about the ride?

- Kevin

NM_HighPlains
05-05-2006, 07:48 AM
And when you say beating beat to death are you talking about the ride?

Yes. Ford F250 4WD HeavyDuty. I don't think it really has suspension. This truck's motto is "If there's bumps, we magnify them. And if there's not, we create them! And then magnify them!". The truck rides fairly well when it has a ton of salt blocks in the back. Any other time, it's a rough, bouncy, abrupt, suspension-less, steel-struts-for-"shocks" machine.

I will say 1 thing to it's credit- I've had new since '97 and it's never broken down and has been almost 100% reliable (clutch throw bearing aside) in 75,000 miles of which at least 50% is off-road ranch work.

TaNK_Em
05-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah I know what you’re saying; Going down the road I live off of my truck goes all over the place. I'm pretty sure my shocks are shot though so that’s part of the problem. So have you decided which vehicle you’re going to get?

- Kevin

auxbar
06-03-2006, 05:35 PM
I manage my family's ranch in New Mexico and am eyeballing 2 rigs, one of which is an Avalanche. I want to use it for light duty ranch work (light trailer hauling, running around to check water, etc) and use my Ford F250 4WD HD for the heavy stuff. The Ford absolutely beats me to death on our 2-track roads (and there are a LOT of them- it's 14 miles from corner to corner). We will also use the truck as a road truck on trips of 150 miles or so, another place where the Ford doesn't do so good (no cruise, manual tranny, etc). It takes 10 miles of dirt road from our house to pavement and the truck will be used a LOT on dirt roads. I have 3 kids and a wife and we REALLY need the 4 doors.

2) I have not actually LOOKED at one yet (like I said....long ways to town)- does the rear cover fold up to where I can load an ATV or dirt bikes in the back?

Thanks!

I have the hard cover on the bed of mine, and it doesn't exactly fold up. It is made up of three numbered panels, of which fit into a track and lock into place. You can remove all three and put them in your garage, or put them in the case that comes with them and strap it to the inside of the bed. The bed actually has a composite overlay that has treads for your four-wheeler. Saaa--Weeet!

sennister
06-12-2006, 09:47 AM
I know the original question was posted a long time ago but I can provide some info for others being I own an Avalanche.

Based on how he wants to use it there should be no problems with the Avalanche. Provided he gets a 1500 series. He makes mention to the Ford 250 having a rough ride well I would mention that much of that may be because it is a 3/4 ton truck. My Father-in-law has a GMC 2500 with the Duramax and that has a much rougher ride than my 1500 Avalanche. The Avalanche is based on the Suburban which has a very nice ride. As far as holding up to the punishment. Don't be surprised if it develops squeeks and rattles over time. Although that may happen with any of the vehicles he is considering. It should hold up fine overall.

As for the ATV in the back. Yes most will fit. I have a Honda 450ES and it is too wide to fit in the back without removing some of the parts that support the bed panels. The bed panels do not fold up. They are removeable. Also in order to keep the ATV all the way in the truck and not on the tailgate you may have to open up the midgate. I would be concerned about an ATV with weight on the tailgate bouncing down a gravel road. There has been a recall on the tailgate straps for the Avalanche as they have been known to break. Also with the midgate open you loose your seating in the back of the truck. So if you get a model with buckets you will be down to driver and one passenger. Another issue with an ATV in the back is that the bed is pretty high. So it can be tricky getting an ATV in and out of the back. These are all reasons that if I am moving my ATV I trailer it. It is just easier.

stockman
12-25-2006, 02:36 PM

Thanks!

I use the 2wd Avalanche as a ranch truck combination passenger vehicle! It is the most versatile truck I have ever owned. It comfortably transported four adults to Mexico, San Antonio, Austin, Batrop, Houston, Hot Springs Ark, New Orleans Miami, with heated leather capitan chairs, a/c, heat, am/fm cd, and front and side air bags. With a trailer package, it tows my 16' cattle trailer with 6-7000lbs of cattle or calves to and from the auction barn, or two tons of feed from the mill, or with the mid gate down 22 sheets of 1/2" plywood while protecting the load from the weather. With the bed canopy panels off you will have a 5' x 4' bed to transport an ATV and the cab will still be sealed. With the mid gate and rear window out you have an 8' x 4' bed but check the head clearance out. The truck gets still 16 mpg after 108,500 miles, is E85 compatiable, no needed tuneup yet, only with routine synthetic oil changes and lub service. The only repair is about replacing an antenna base after a collision with a buzzard sporting poor navigational skills. I dodged he didn't but he lived and took the antenna with him. The truck uses torsion bars front and coil springs in the rear. OEM tires are not satisfactory if there is thorny brush and rocks in your pastures. Suggest need hard rubber AT/LT tires with straight sides and 6 ply rateing. Select some tires for the service intended! Other than the obvious your bottem line question is off the road use and that goes to suspension system and if you compare the Avalanche to GM pickups that is equal to comparing Surburban or Taho to the GM 1/2 ton pickup line. Modify the body of a Surburban to fold down the only rear seat, open the top to create a 5' truck bed, close the back with a removable window and mid gate, and raise the body for clearance and beef up the suspension system, add some other tricks and you have an Avalanche gas rig. I bought mine on the web from the Phillipines. So go to the GM web site and tour the Avalanche. Dealer recall provided replacement SS tailgate cables and any new truck as stock.

Add your comment to this topic!