Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Suggestions on an engine rebuild...

MadMattMd
04-28-2006, 06:30 AM
I have to rebuild the engine in my '69 BGT. I'm seeking suggestions for reasonable priced options during the rebuild to increase the power.

I'm running the stock 4 speed transmission (no overdrive) and the car is just not capable of running at highway speeds (65-70 mph) which means I won't use it for nice weather commuting to work. Frankly, trying to get to work driving 55-60 mph in such a small car (OK, it's not THAT small. I've owned smaller) and not getting tailgated by SUVs and pickup trucks can be a bit nerve racking.

Upgrades such as the 5 speed transmission conversion and supercharging are out of the budget at this time.

If I'm not able to rebuild the motor with increased power and reliability, I'll probably look to a drivetrain swap. I've been pondering a 1st generation RX-7 conversion. It's small, light, powerful, and has a 5 speed transmission. Has anyone tried this?

TIA,
Matt

CraigFL
04-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Don't forget to talk to Bob at http://www.brittek.com/ ,, he's always willing to help...

Flash75
04-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Owners of MGB's without overdrive frequently drive them 70-75 mph for hours with problems. Rebuild the engine right and it can cruise at 4000 rpm (about 72 mph) all day without problems. The biggest advantage for the overdrive is reduced noise and a small improvement in fuel economy.

Clifton

KimMG
04-29-2006, 09:28 PM
What is really wrong with your motor? Have you done a compression test? What's the oil pressure? I have 140 thousand miles on mine with no problems driving it at highway speeds. I don't have an overdrive. I use mine for commuting.

Check out the britishcarforum.com and mgbexperience.com for articles on exhaust systems, camshafts, and coils to improve performance.
You will also find articles on rebuilding or refreshing a motor.
www.theautoist.com is website with technical tips and articles.

StormShadow
05-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I can second trying out the rebuild option as a first try. As for engine conversions, there are the ever popular V8 options (BOPR and 302, all the wayt to 350 Chevy) which take some massaging and modding of the engine bay.

Then there are the less done, but equally interesting Miata and rotary options (both of which I have seen done). I will try to dig up the pages for the guys that have done these swaps. I think the Wenkel swap was from a Gen 2 RX7. Hope this helps, let us know what you decide.

Flash75
05-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Strange you mention a five speed conversion is out of your budget, then in the last paragraph you mentinon you are thinking about a Mazda rotary and five speed conversion. It takes some serious money to do any conversion properly so it looks and works like a factory installation. Just thinking out loud.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!