Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hyde made a little bit o'power ...

JekylandHyde
04-27-2006, 07:37 PM
This is a copy/paste of the post made by my tuner on mr2oc.com about Hyde's dyno session today:

Today was a fun day! Boost creep and clutch slippage contributes to a healthy 3S-GTE reality diet! Yay!

Please keep in mind that these are preliminary numbers. There are still several things that need to be addressed:

1) Wastegate boost creep issues (It creeps to 27 psi by redline)
2) A single disc clutch that just won't get things done at this level
3) The ignition timing map (I'm still running timing values that were more suited to the engine in this thread: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=178295 )
4) The a/f is still not cleaned up to my liking (I prefer to run 12.2-12.4:1 on Sonoco 110......it has a higher specific gravity than pump pee water, thus needed less parts fuel per parts air)
5) I did not get the chance to move the cam gears around. The intake cam is retarded 8 degrees of crank rotation (at 110btdc) from the intake cam from last year.

All that being said the engine did tremendously well. There are no really odd noises other than a little valvetrain noise. (I'll be re-shimming this motor later on).

When dealing with boost creep in this situation, I instructed Jeff each pass to allow for a little higher boost, and a little higher rpms. We finally found the boost leveled off at 27psi near 8300.

When a car has a boost creep problem like this, I find the highest it creeps to, and determine whether or not I feel comfortable tuning at that boost level. On Hyde, I have no problems with up to 30 psi, so I had Jeff add duty cycle into his boost controller so we could get to 27 psi for the full pull. We only got to 23 psi, so the pull posted below is 23 psi creeping to 27 psi at 8300 rpm.

On the next pull, we got 25 psi when the wastegate opened, but the clutch failed. It's now time for a twin disc setup of some sort. Jeff and I have several options lined up so he can hit the time attack event in May.

Here's the video:

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/images/Hydes_567_dyno_mr2.mpg

Here's the dyno, compared to last season's run at 22psi. The uncorrected number is 554.

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/images/Hyde_dyno_567.jpg

The car's curb weight is about 2650.
With me inside it comes to about 2820.

Typically people refer to a fast street car having a weight-to-power ratio of 10:1
In MR2s, they look for 300 rwhp in a 3000 lbs car (mine's been lightened).

I think the really fast open wheel cars that run the hill climbs have a ratio of roughly 8:1.

Last year, at 440 rwhp we had a ratio of 6.4:1.

We are now sitting at: 4.9:1.
That's some crazy stuff right there.

VR43000GT
04-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Wow, I'm impressed. A lot of horsies for a little car. Well done.

youngvr4
04-27-2006, 08:23 PM
wooooohooohooo

that little monster is bad ass foreal foreal now!!!!!!!!!!!

geez, post a vid of your next race!! please

keymaster4225
04-27-2006, 08:50 PM
I find it really hard to believe a single disc clutch won't hold 400 lb/ft TQ. An ACT 2600 should hold that without a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong...

JekylandHyde
04-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks guy ;)

keymaster4225, there are very aggressive ACTs that will hold big torque.
Keithe LoForte (A fellow NHRA SP/RWD driver) runs 545 ft lbs on a 2900 lb ACT pressure plate and 6 puck.

The problem with that is (1) you are talking about a real stiff pedal from what I understand and (2) that much force and you are starting to think about crank walk.

I suspect we will be going to a twin-disc clutch ... we are resaerching our options now.

-The Stig-
04-27-2006, 09:44 PM
my word.... nicely done Jeff... my hat is off to NoShoes for getting your car in such good tune (thus far).

Damn fine job. Now, fix the clutch and get us some numbers.:thumbsup:

clawhammer
04-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Well, you still need to lean out tha a/f ratios, tune the cams, run more boost, and add timing. That will get you over 600 rwhp, right?

Are you sure that 600 rwhp will not get you into the 9s? How much HP do you think you will need for the 9s? Why not just add a little bottle?

Andydg
04-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Impressive! When does racing season start?

Mr. Luos
04-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Damn!!!!

I will have you on torque...but you got me on HP. Great numbers!!!

TheStang00
04-27-2006, 10:49 PM
wow good stuff man. very respectable

Chiquae07
04-27-2006, 11:38 PM
im scared of hyde....i think i should be. how are you going to be puttin those numbers to the ground effiecently though?

JekylandHyde
04-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Impressive! When does racing season start?
We are officially starting this Sunday with an autocross.
It's going ot be the tersting ground for the suspension and brake upgrades.
Unforunately, drag racing, rado racing and hillclimbing can't happen until we find a clutch that meets our needs :(

Well, you still need to lean out tha a/f ratios, tune the cams, run more boost, and add timing. That will get you over 600 rwhp, right?
Are you sure that 600 rwhp will not get you into the 9s? How much HP do you think you will need for the 9s? Why not just add a little bottle?
It does seem that 600 hp is in the future, but I am doubtful that would be enough for 9s. I am confident we can hit a solid 10.5 give or take some change.

What kind of torque are you shooting for? We have not finished adjusting the cams or actually bringing the boost up to 27 psi. As we increase to run that level (instead of creeping to that level) it will bring torque up. I suspect we might see 440-450 rwtq.

im scared of hyde....i think i should be. how are you going to be puttin those numbers to the ground effiecently though?
Right now I am sitting on 265s in the back for road racing and 275s for drag racing. I would love to go bigger for road racing and I can, but I am limited as to what I can stick up front. :(

turtlecrxsi
04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Some really sweet numbers. Hope all the tuning issues get worked out for you; especially that boost creep... pretty scary but it sounds like your engine can handle it.

Igovert500
04-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Awesome numbers Jeff. Good luck this season.

CBFryman
04-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Damn!!!!

he will only have you on weight by about 1000lbs :lol:

I think what is holding you back from the 9's is traction (obviously) and gearing. I remember your 2nd gear thread.

even stickier rubber and custom transmission.... :grinyes:

< 5:1 is crazy insane. your car > Enzo :smokin:^3

Mr. Luos
04-28-2006, 06:58 PM
I know...insane!! I love it.

Hyde...looking for about 485-500 ft/pounds with mine. Starting around 2800 RPM's.
I will have a much better idea Sunday afternoon. Un-tuned...and may not see redline, but the T/A is getting dyno'd. I will just keep a close eye on the A/F. Tune is good enough...but there is still plenty more left.
Of course...that is all for a new thread sunday. :lol:

Still...beautiful numbers!! And the chart looks great compared to some real peaky turbo motors you see.

JekylandHyde
04-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Luos, are you going to follow me to an 8500 rev limit? :D

... runs, ducks and Hydes ...

Mr. Luos
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I think I might have just a little more rotating mass. :lol:
I think I will be keeping mine to around 6700 RPM's.

Add your comment to this topic!