Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Methods to Lower a 99 rodeo

Tony_Dize
04-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Hello everybody. I sail from the acuraworld.com forum, i used to have an integra GS-R but i totaled the thing, so i bought a Rodeo, i bought cheap, 2 grand a nice deal it's a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS (oh yes the LS) and i hate having my cars stock, specially height. I'm looking into lowering it because i like the lowered look. I was wondering if any of you guys have done it to your rodeo/passport.

Questions:
Is it hard (or are you able at all) of lowering a 4x4 Rodeo?

Are there kits to do so?

If so how much?

What parts would i need if kits are not available?

Current mods include:
Interior bulbs changed to xenon look bulbs
Cd player with I-pod interface, sound system coming up...and that's it :lol:

Anyway thanks in advance

amigo-2k
04-27-2006, 07:06 PM
no kits to lower, but there are kits to lift.

you could purchase shorten springs (VSW, I think can make you custom springs) and crank down the torison bars and replace the bump stops to smaller ones and maybe replace the shocks too.

I have read a few folks like yourself that talk about lowering +98 Rodeo's but I rarely read the end results. If you do this please write it up and post some pics.

Tony_Dize
04-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Yeah well i was reading some posts. Looks like i'm gonna have to be stuck with the stock height...I think i'm just gonna trade it in next month or so for something else....

amigo-2k
04-28-2006, 10:14 AM
You can lower it. You could stick a Chevy 350 in it. Anything is possible with enough money.

I thought the current SUV trend was big wheels and tires to fill the tire to body gap.

rodeo02
04-28-2006, 10:39 AM
How'd you get a functional 1999 rodeo LS 4x4 for $2000?:uhoh:

Joel

Ramblin Fever
04-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Wow - that's a heck of a deal, if everything's coachier and it's never overheated. I wouldn't think to sale mine for $2k even with being 9yrs/155k miles old.

Maybe $4k, but not $2k.

Hope nothing's fishy about that rig :uhoh: , but it doesn't sound like you're interested in keeping it anyway. But, FWIW - if it's running good and is maintained well, it will be a good vehicle.

I personally have seen owners who have lowered their rodeo's, the newer one's as well as older. I haven't the foggiest clue how they've done it, but I've seen at least 3 within a 100 mile radius of where I live.

Only thing is, you just don't want to take them down too low; but heck, I've even seen some 1 ton dually trucks that are lowered, and if they can be lowered I don't see why a Rodeo can't.

Just ship me your 4x4 system will you?? :evillol:

Tony_Dize
04-29-2006, 06:13 PM
How'd you get a functional 1999 rodeo LS 4x4 for $2000?:uhoh:

Joel

I had an Integra GS-R but i totaled it, the insurance gave me some dough for it, since it had full cover.

The Rodeo was my sister's, she has a new car and wanted to get out of the debt of the rodeo, she was trying to sell it for 4k but nobody wanted it since it has a little body damage on the right front side. So she told me if i paid it off i could have it, I wanted another sports car but i'm trying to pay for my college so i wanted something where i wouldn't be tempted to put so much money into, since i use to put most of my money in the Integra :icon16: (about 5k on parts in a 9 month period, those damn rice burners) So i just paid the rodeo off (it wasn't 2k it was 1789):rofl: It runs pretty strong, i use to change the oil on it so i now the scheduled maint is right :P . It had 110k mi on it when i paid it off. It was a great deal specially cuz its an LS. RIght now is only the gas gauge that is giving me trouble. I already bought the sending unit, i just needt to install it. Which leads me to ask:

Has anybody installed the sending unit on a rodeo? I know it's very common problem (shouldnt it had been a recall?)

Is it hard?

Do i have to drop the tank?

I know some stuff about cars, i used to work in my car all the time, but this is a whole new game, all help appreciated

Tony_Dize
04-29-2006, 06:22 PM
You can lower it. You could stick a Chevy 350 in it. Anything is possible with enough money.

That's where i'm lacking at

I thought the current SUV trend was big wheels and tires to fill the tire to body gap.

Yeah i;m think of putting some 20's on there, but the dough is short right now and i'm not sure if it's gonna look good. I just started a new job so i should be getting some extra money to put into it. i need to fix the scrapes it has on the front and a little crack in the bumper. I was just wondering about the kit so i could start gathering money and see what i would be shooting for. But leaving it stock is not an option. I don't like my cars stock. As for now the windows are already tinted....It looks good since it's dark green. Subs coming up next weekend

anthonyn
04-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Yeah i;m think of putting some 20's on there, but the dough is short right now and i'm not sure if it's gonna look good.

Here's a 2nd gen on 20's:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/256110

Gizmo42
04-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Replacing the sending unit isnt too bad. Took me about 4 hrs doing it myself and taking my sweet time. Would have been alot quicker but had to make a run for rubber fuel hose since I damaged one of mine.

The hardest part for me was was getting the tank out from under the vehicle then back under. I didnt have the truck on jack stands (all 4 wheels on the ground) because my floor jack doesnt go very high. So once the tank was down I had to slide it off the jack to get it low enough to slide out. Then had to get it back on to jack into place.

There are only 4 bolts holding it in place (2 in front, 2 in back). I used a 2x12 I had laying around between the tank and jack to spread the weight. I couldnt get the fuel lines disconnected from the fuel pump and didnt want to break anything (the pump is plastic) so I lowered it slowly and removed the rubber lines from the steel lines at the front of the tank once I had enough room to do it. Once its down replacing the sending unit is easy. You will need snap ring pliers to get the pump out.

Here is a write up on replacing them..
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=116&Replacing_the_Fuel_Sending_Unit_on_a_2nd_Gen_Isuzu _Rodeo

With a helper and/or putting it on jackstands you could probably do it in an hour or 2. You might not have the rusted bolts that I did either.

Tony_Dize
04-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Here's a 2nd gen on 20's:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/256110

Yeah i was looking at some of them on car domain yesterday. they look decent i guess. I'm going to start saving up my money.

Thanks for the link Gizmo42, great DIY

IsuzuKid
04-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Here's a pic of a lowered rodeo I saved from about 3 to 4 years ago. Don't remember who's it was, or if its even real, but at the time, it looked nice, so I saved the pic...Maybe it will give you some ideas....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/Aznguy4o8/LOWEREDRODEO.jpg

IsuzuKid
04-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Here's a pic of a lowered rodeo I saved from about 3 to 4 years ago. Don't remember who's it was, or if its even real, but at the time, it looked nice, so I saved the pic...Maybe it will give you some ideas....

Blue Bowtie
05-01-2006, 08:40 AM
In a cursory look around the WWW, I haven't been able to find any lowering spindles for the Rodeo/Passport. Short of that, you might not want to lower it more than an inch or so. Beyond that, you may run out of camber adjustment, and risk inducing a lot of bump steer with the A arms living life near the top of their travel range.

directory
05-01-2006, 07:00 PM
let me drive it for a week on a trail or two...

i guarantee it to not be riding stock height after i'm done....

Tony_Dize
05-02-2006, 05:03 PM

Nice pic. I wonder who makes that body kit or if it even exists

Add your comment to this topic!