Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I sometimes find...

mentel
07-18-2002, 02:18 PM
that when im building model's, i always look at what other people do and i know for a fact i can do that if i try hard enough........so then i go and try to duplicate it.........but i can't!..........1. reason for this is money, after i've purchased my model, and got the proper paint(s) for it, iam out of fu nd's to go and spend to make customization on it.......another thing is when im wanting to perform a certain m odification, it looks easier than it is, and often times i cannot find tutorials on how to do it!......like opening doors/trunk lid's......anyone else feel frustrated like this?.........grrrrr what it would be like to be able to afford those wicked supplies to build model's, plus another thing is i do not have a properly o rganized building center like some ppl have built with a spray booth and airbrushes........lots of guys use airbrush for even little parts like wires or disc brakes.........but they can afford to.........im rambling on again because imbored........hope this will enlighten someone hehe peace

patate
07-18-2002, 02:28 PM
airbrush solution is walmart and a spray booth take 30 minute to build
it's not that hard.;) try to make one .

mario:D

daggerlee
07-18-2002, 02:51 PM
One of the big parts of modelling is finding innovative ways for what would normally require spending lots of money...

For example, my spray booth is really just my old science project board and a piece of cardboard set on top of the stove, where the range fan can get the air out...takes 20 seconds to setup or tear down...it's not as convenient as a real spray booth, but gets the job done. Instead of buying a circle compass cutter I just use a $1 circle template I bought from American Science & Surplus (btw GREAT store for odds and ends used in modelling) I make my own part mounters out of Q-tips and alligator clips, stuck into a ball of clay. I have a spinning jenny made out of two slabs of wood over a cheap plastic turntable I got from AS&S for 50 cents.

Those are just some examples...the only thing I've really spent money on is paint and polishing stuff...besides the kits themselves of course :rolleyes:

Also I find that the best way to get good at modelling is to experiment for yourself. You'll never get good if you keep on following other people's directions (although they can give you ideas and guidelines), you just have to get down and dirty sometimes. Still, it's 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration, as the old saying goes...

Hope this helps :)

rcmaxx
07-18-2002, 07:47 PM
I dont see what else you need besides the model, the paint, the glue, sand paper, brushes and MAYBE thinner to build a great model. alot of the guys that have all the Airbrushes, spray booths and all that stuffis more of a convinience not a nessecity. a old Bathroom air sucker thing mounted on top of a Cardbox with a tube to ourside is all you need for a spray booth really. you dont need a airbrush to build awesome cars, look at P-man :D

anyways, you dont need to be rich to afford the stuff for modeling, it comes with times, after you build enough models you will have enough tools, paints and stuff. you dont buy it all at once.

Lownslow
07-19-2002, 01:56 AM
it looks easier than it is, and often times i cannot find tutorials on how to do it!......like opening doors/trunk lid's...

for shitsake this is not hard at all if you have nylon sewing thread use the back of your hobby knife and cut a groove around the panel to be removed when you punch throught the plastic then u put the thread through(so that its sticking out both ends in and out of the body) the saw till you fully got the panel(aka Door trunk etc...) removed you might have to repeat because the thread snaps pretty easy due to friction..

1 putting the body between your legs(not to much pressure enough to hold it while you work)

2most of the work can be accoplished in a sitting position

3 keep the thread connected to the roll

if you cant do this try finding Modelcars magazine

sorry i blew up i dont have the tools that most of these guys have but for what i lack in one thing i make up for another

Add your comment to this topic!