Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pulling Engine and Transmission?

redbug
04-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Hello,

Has anyone ever pulled the engine and transmission out of a 95 rodeo?

As discussed in earlier posts, I have bent the valves on my rodeo.

Yesterday I made another effort to get the heads off and I have determined that it may be easier to remove the engine rather than try to work in such a tight space....

I actually got all of the alen bolts off of the drivers side valve cover, but was unable to remove the cover... There must be something holding the back on that I can't see... Anyway, if the engine was out this job might be easier.

Thanks in advance for any responses...:)

rodeo02
04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
I forgot about your valve deal.:uhoh: The only case on record of valve smashing on a 3.2/3.5. Tight space? Getting at the 3.2/3.5 heads has to be one of the easier engines out there as far as room goes. Get the intake manifold off and it's all wide open. The electrical connectors, EGR fittings, clips, etc are usually the biggest PITA.

Joel

Ramblin Fever
04-27-2006, 10:09 AM
How'd you bend the valves??

Oh, wait, were you the one that the belt snapped, or something like that??

redbug
04-27-2006, 01:01 PM
I can't see how easy it will be to get the exhaust manifolds off.... Just getting the valve cover loose ( and I still can't get it off) was a pain.

I guess I have not worked on many modern tight engines if this one is one of the easiest.....

As far as the only one to bend valves on a 3.2, I doubt it... I just saw a rodeo advertised on Ebay (95 3.2) whose belt let loose at 67k, bent his valves. He had to get the heads re-done, which he did, and then he gave up....

When (and if) I get the heads off I will post pictures of heads.......

BTW, Stopped by home depot in my new 2006 civic, wanted to pick up some framing studs.. could not do it..... I miss my Rodeo!:crying:

Ramblin Fever
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Well, I'm glad I did mine then, just barely 3k miles ago. How many miles did you have on that particular belt?

I had 60k on the 1st (changed for preventative); 2nd belt had 93k miles

redbug
04-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Changed belts at 60k, 120k, 180k, then at 207k the tensioner started to knock. So, I decided to open it up and change the tensioner, while I was at it I put all new pulleys on. Got a kit so I put the new belt on that came from the kit. 2 miles later the belt jumped a couple of teeth and bent the valves.

As stated before, my theory is that the new tension from the new tensioner pulled the cams in tight and may have exposed bad cam bearings? Which, under new tension tightened up? Won't know until I get the heads off. I had religously changed the oil ever 3k since I bought it in 95. Got one of the valve covers halfway off, looked in. Cam looks brand new, no sludge to be seen...... :shakehead

redbug
04-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Ramblin Fever,

Isn't 33k over the top? I think you will be ok with 60k.

But what do I know, I have bent valves!

Ramblin Fever
04-29-2006, 12:44 AM
33K??

I think you might have misread my 93k miles on the 2nd belt for 33k??

I had 60k on the 1st, and 93k on the 2nd belt.

My current 3rd belt barely has 3k miles.

Add your comment to this topic!