Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need some help with airbrush compressor

mickbench
04-27-2006, 08:03 AM
OK guys. I really do need to get an airbrush compressor. I looked at hobby compressors but wasn’t so keen on the £300 price tag, and I looked at normal compressors and wasn’t happy with the noise due to dogs in the house that will bark, but enough is enough. £7.50 for a can of 700ml air that lasts for just under one model is getting to be a joke.

I’ve seen some ABAC compressors listed in the UK and the company selling them sells airbrush compressors, and offers a service were they will fit the correct connectors for any airbrush you request This being a badger 200.

These are what they have listed –

http://www.diy-compressors.com/shop/air-brushing-compressors.htm

They are quieter then standard compressors, but not as silent as a hobby compressor, but looking at the BAM-A18-25R - Heavy duty, light weight airbrush compressor its £160 + postage, as opposed to £300 + postage. Bit of a difference really. As much as I’d love to go and buy a IWATA from someone like hiroboy I simply cannot justify the £140 + over spend. Try as I might.

Now, looking at the list on offer from the above link, there is one for even less money but the PSI is lower. I’m a novice with this, I’ve asked before and I’m sorry to ask again but if I’m building 1/24 cars, spraying bodies and small parts etc which one should I get? The cheaper of the two or just spend the extra £20 odd and get the more expensive one, and will this be OK for my needs? The store owner says yes, but he would. I would rather gather collective thoughts from here, from guys who really now what they are doing.

Thanks.

Oh and I did search but I'm still a little confused and want to get this right. I'm making my order as soon as I know what to buy. Sod it, air can usage is getting too expensive.

drunken monkey
04-27-2006, 08:26 AM
vaguely related.
as an alternative to both, is it possible to buy a compressed air cylinder and refill that from, let' s say your local shell/esso? i mean, are there the required attachements available or are the only options for operating an airbrush either cans or compressor?

MPWR
04-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Definately, get a compressor- air cans are a losing proposition. They're good for deferring the inevitable purchase of a compressor after you've just laid out for an airbrush, but once you get through 2-3 cans, it's time to move up. I am a bit surpised that Badger, Paasche, or Tamiya doesn't have a compressor availible in the UK for less than 140 quid. But it's been a long time since I've priced compressors.

To give your question my best answer, I would say no, the difference between 45psi and 60psi is not worth another 20 quid. 45psi is waaaay above what you need for painting, I can't imagine ever needing 60 :uhoh:. I think mine puts out about 20- but then, i've been using it for almost 20 years without a regulator, so i can't really measure. (Somebody back me up on this?)

One question though- after you get your compressor, will you do my nails? :naughty:

mickbench
04-27-2006, 08:46 AM
MPWR, If you can somehow post your nails to me in the UK, then why not Now all joking aside, you’d be amazed to hear that I’ve been struggling on with air cans for the past 16 months. I’ve spent perhaps the cost of a decent compressor in canned air, and quite frankly I’m getting a tad fed up with this scenario.

Not only that, the canned air seems to fluctuate, one moment I’ve got a constant air supply, the next nothing until I shake the can and then my airbrush takes off like Concorde. Hardly needed when you are trying to spray a large surface area, and equally annoying.

I wasn’t sure about the recommended PSI your meant to airbrush at, as obviously canned air doesn’t afford me the luxury of finding out, it’s a screw cap from the top of the can, and a case of “hold on, where going in” and hope you get something that can be usable. But if you are using 20 PSI then 45 PSI should be ample.

So, £137.00 + postage it is then. I need to build around 15 1/24 models to then start saving on the cost of canned air if I continued working like I am, but I reckon with a compressor I’ll airbrush much more, and use less rattle cans, therefore the build rate could be lower, to then reap the benefits of the initial outlay. Gotta be win win, surely.

And Drunken Monkey, I looked into using an old tyre with adaptor, but you need filters etc, to keep the air clean. By the time you’ve spent on this, always having to drive to the local filling station, I’d might as well just get the compressor.

Thanks all.

gionc
04-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Mick isn't only a money reason to purchase a decent compressor: everyone I think are quetly frustrated enough from our models without other complications: in 1 word we like to work with great tools, yes is a pleasure and this fact I guess give our more fun. So I was been frustrated by my self-made compressor (refrigerator compressor+reg+moisture trap) for almost 20 years so 3 or 4 years ago I purchase my new one. I've already a big bricolage compressor (50lt) but what I purchase is really great and a pleasure to work with: I paid it 250 euros here in the LHS. 0noise, 0 moisture, sharp press. control.
Another related thing: lately I purchased a fantastic Iwata HP-CS (well I know fantastic for me, there's something better around) but the major pleasure is see and work with the new "Cobra" Iwata hose: strange? I think not, simply we work better if we're happy from us and our great tools :)

klutz_100
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
FYI - Just bought and set this up yesterday.

24 litre tank, 8 bar max, oil compressor. cost 7OGBP approx. italian made. quite noisy but you only need to fill 24 litres once in a while I guess ;)

Space isn't too much of a problem for me so....

Also will use it to fill tyres on 5 bikes, 3 cars, paint the fence around my house, fill swimming pools and wash my socks.......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/klutz100/PARTS/kompresor_01.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/klutz100/PARTS/kompresor_03.jpg

dflett
04-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Mickbench

I was in your position last year regarding purchasing a compressor. My advice would be to get a compressor with an attached air tank. My experience with those without is you will get a pulsing of the air at the airbrush.

I now have a ripmax rcp104 compressor. Had it for about a year and am happy with it. Bought it from the local hobby shop in the UK on the advice of the owner as he said it would be quiet. I needed quiet. It is pretty quiet in use, especially once there is some air in the tank - quiet enough to use in an apartment without upsetting the neighbours. I paid £140 for it. 1/8hp, 3500cc tank, 50PSI. No idea if ripmax are considered good or bad compressors but I like it and it works well with my Iwata B on 1/24 cars.

Just google for "ripmax compressors" and you should find a store in the UK that is currently selling the rcp104 for £160 in the UK in the top three hits. No affiliation or experience with that store - it was just the first google hit I found.

Hope this has helped. Good luck in your search.

mickbench
04-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Klutz,

Why do I get the feeling you aren’t short of a few quid? 3 cars..??? Massive hobby area, and swimming pool.. I’m envious. J/K

Anyhow –

Dflett, you mean one of these don’t you –

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/index.php?option=categories&category_id=2563

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/index.php?product_id=22720&option=Prod_detail&image_id=8989

£148 with moisture trap, and oil free..

Anyone else got comments on this one? Was just about to order the ABAC Compressor, but interested in other options. Budget is about £150 - £160, so still within this at the moment.

stevenoble
04-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Mick,have a look at the compressors at Machine Mart,they are based in the UK and have branches in many major towns and cities.A friend of mine got a compressor from here and it is excellent.The first one and the second one on this link will do more than you ever need for model use.They are slightly more than your budget but not much.Also don't look on the purchase of a compressor as an expense.Sure there is the initial outlay of money but your modeling experience will be so much better with the addition of a reliable air source which,treated well,will last several years.You will save money as you won't be needing all those air cans anymore.I used to use the cans and I would never revert back to them now.Best regards.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=102&r=2008

dflett
04-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Yes, those are the ripmax - the second link is the one I have.

I also looked at the clarke shhhh2 range at machine mart but my local one did not have them in stock and wanted two weeks to get hold of one and I neeed to have a demo before buying just to see how quiet "quiet" was. So I walked away and ended up with the ripmax.

Mogster
04-27-2006, 04:37 PM
How about this for a slightly cheaper option....

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000110300

I bought mine about 4 years ago and I've had no problems with it.

mickbench
04-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Models in motion (UK Store) has the Ripmax 104 in stock

http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/product.asp?productid=2325&catCode=228&tamiya=273

but I’ve read that this isn’t a great compressor, although it has been recommended. Its small, and will fit in my hobby area nicely, and its affordable. It’s gotta be better then using aircans, as I’m again out of air, and I really do not want to buy anymore of this overpriced cans.

Comments, I’m going to buy something, and its now looking to be this one, as I can afford it form modelsinmotion, as it’s £150 with water trap and free postage. Basically, I’d need to buy 20 cans of air to make my money back, and I’ve done this already…

mickbench
04-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Just to let you all know, I got a 50PSI 25 ltr tank compressor (portable) from a UK hardware store (B & Q), I just need to find a fitting to get my airbrush connected. It has a water trap, and guage but is fairly noisy. But not overly big, and only cost £85 + £25 for the water trap as I thought I'd better get that, as if I get water in the pipe, I'll only be mad when it ruins what could be a perfect paintjob.

Some make call airmate, but it should do the job. Thanks for all the help guys. I really wanted a IWATA hobby compressor, but I simply couldn't hand over £300 for one. It was just too much money. I was not happy handing my credit card over for £110, yet alone £300...

Add your comment to this topic!