Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Jimmy - I just got one, noise questions and other stuff

rockpile_
04-27-2006, 12:48 AM
So I just bought a 2000 Jimmy.. I took 3 different ones out for test drives. I noticed that all of them have this type of 'clunking' sound coming from the front passenger area, seemingly just infront of the passenger, maybe the door or something in the door, or behind the glove box.. in that area.. It does it going over small bumps going down the road. What is it? I was told the trucks have all been checked out.. suspension/ball joints are all ok. I found it odd that it is the same type of sound in all of them.. (2 - 2000's, 1 - 95) and from the same exact area

Also, when the gas pedal is slightly depressed i hear a slightly quiet electrical noise coming from the dash in forward of me.. it reminds me of those electric car or train sets when you would just slightly pull the throttle trigger and get that quiet crackly-buzzing sound. Anyone else?

Other than that seems ok so far. The truck has 86,000kms which is low, its got Uniroyal tires on it with maybe 40% tread.. I think they were the original tires.. they have to go.
Are there any 95-05 Jimmy knowledge base FAQ sites out there?

Thanks

Moser97
04-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Welcome aboard Rockpile. I can't help with the clunking except to say it sounds a little like shocks. The mindset around here and the Blazer forum is to stick with the OEM Bilsteins. The Monroe Reflex are getting some decent reviews too. I got cheap Monroes and Monroe air shocks for mine and wish I would have gone with the Reflex now. I would stick with the Uniroyals when you replace the tires. I had all kinds of ride problems when I got my '99 Jimmy with some brand new cheap Firestones on it. I went back to a new set of Laredos and it rides much nicer. The Jimmy and the Blazers are essentially identical. The Blazer forum here is much busier than the Jimmy forum, as well as being super informative. They will welcome your Jimmy questions. The electrical noise is a total baffler. Ask over on the Blazer forum I bet someone has some experience with it. I also noticed that the mod on the Pontiac Bonneville forum is a GM and ASE certified tech. I may shoot some questions at him in the future. Good Luck.

Add your comment to this topic!