Help.. Power loss to fuel pump!

cheralee
04-27-2006, 12:52 AM
I have 96 PA and have an intemittent problem which is making me crazy. Car runs great and then all of a sudden I'm stalling and the drivers seat and windows don't work......If I keep pressing the seat adjustment switch it will eventually move the seat which means my car will start again. The ignigition works and I hear buzzing from the glove box occasionally. Has anyone had this problem and solved it?
Thanks
Cheralee

yogi_123rd
04-27-2006, 09:16 AM
I have a simular problem. The car doesn't start (cranks ok) and the windows and door locks just hear the relays click. I toggle the windows until the windows roll down. The car then starts. Happens in cold weather so it hasn't failed in a while. I believe I tracked down the problem to be the RAP (retained accessory relay) having bad contacts. I believe this relay powers fuse panel 2 when the ignition is on (and the fuel pump relay is in that panel expaining why the car doesn't start).

The next time it happens, open your door (power and relay will go off) and try restarting the car.

P.S. let me know what happens

yogi_123rd
05-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Update: It finally happened again and I did a bit of testing. This time it occurred in very wet weather. (usually it occurs in cold weather). The RAP relay is not the cause of this. The symptoms are that about 1 volt (instead of 12) is reaching fuse panel 2. Toggling the windows and seat switches causes small amounts of heat.

The ignition switch (in the stearing column) is the only thing it could be.

cheralee
05-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Thank you yogi
It is an electrical probem in the relay/fuse panels under the hood,solved by placing a fused bypass to inside fuse panel.

Thanks for your support!!

Cheralee

yogi_123rd
05-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Exactly what did you do?

"fused bypass to inside fuse panel"

Did you hot wire a bypass to the panel or clean the ground?

This problem is either a bad ground or the ignition wire has high resistance.

Add your comment to this topic!