Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission skipping 2nd gear

redhors66
04-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Hello all, I just got a great deal on a 98 4wd Jimmy that has a shifting issue. the thing goes into all gears but seems to rev slightly before going into 2nd gear then goes into 3rd and so fourth. It seems to be skipping 2nd gear and going right into 3rd gear. Once you are at highway speeds you wouldnt know it has a problem. The guy i bought it from says and there are reciepts that he has had regular tranny flushes. It has 96,000 miles and from what I can tell it was changed at 40k and again at 80k.
Could it be a sensor? The previous owner took it to a German GM dealer and they told him he needs a new tranny. I think they are blowing smoke as they think the Military members stationed overseas are loaded--Yea Right.
I have done a small amount of reading and seem to think it might be a shift sensor or the speed sensor.
Any inputs are most appreciated as I am limited with my resources being overseas. Thanks. Redhors66:banghead:

Teal95Jimmy
04-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Manually lock it in 2nd and see if the truck goes anywhere. That will tell you if there is a 2nd gear working.

blazes9395
04-26-2006, 09:11 PM
If it is a solonoid problem, you will have a trouble code stored. Get it scanned, or if you have a scanner, check it out and see what shows up if anything. If nothing shows up, it could still be a solonoid, but the chances are slim.

redhors66
04-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Okay, If it happens to be a solinoid are they easy to remove and replace or will I need to pull the transmission? Also if the scanner does show a code what solinoid would I be looking for since there are more than one? Thanks.

blazes9395
04-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Its not that hard. You have to pull the pan obviously, and the solonoids are all there for you. Pull the clip that holds it in place, and pop it out.

redhors66
05-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Okay, I found someone to scan it for me and came up with PO751 Shift Solinoid "A" Performance or Stuck. Now is that good or bad news? I have someone who will help me as I never have seen the inside of a transmission but have removed plenty. He says it isnt that hard but will need to remove the valve body to get to them. I ordered two solinoids from the states which should be here next week so wish me luck!:grinyes:

blazes9395
05-14-2006, 07:30 PM
You don't need to pull the valve body, just take the pan off, and you'll see all the solonoids there. Pull the A and B solonoid and replace them. Replace gasket, put pan back fill the tranny and your ready to go.

rlith
05-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Good time to throw a fresh filter in while you have the pan off...:)

redhors66
05-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Ok guys/gals I recieved my new shift solinoids, removed the pan and replaced them. Easy as pie-- When I pulled the one on the right (passenger side of tranny) out there was really no (spring) presure on it. At least not like the one to the left of it--that is when I noticed it. On one valve there was a rod sticking out that seemed to have some type of spring presure on it but not the other. Is this normal? I would assume so!
So anyhow I installed both solidoids, pluged them in, put the pan back on and added some fluid to normal operating range. Then came the test drive--Now it starts out in third gear unless I manually shift it to 2nd. Before it was going from 1st to third and so forth and now it dont seem to want to find first--only second, third, drive--OD. What the he!!. It is also the same downshifting,downshifts only manually.

So withis being said, the truck only shifts manually both upshifting and downshifting. not automatic!

Is there a fuse, should I disconnect/reconnect the battery, I am at a loss. I will probably pull the pan back off and try to see if there is something amiss. By the way--no codes or service engine light yet. Any positive inputs are welcome please!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!