Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking for a good engine scanner

george_k
04-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Can somebody recommend a good scanner?

Thanks in advance!

George

s10blazerman4x4
04-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the board "george k" and its called the search feature it does a good job at scanning.

muddog321
04-26-2006, 05:07 AM
To cover reading friends new cars make sure it can read the new CAN protocols - some do and some don't and some are flash upgradable for free, some charge, and some are not - changing often so look at the tech specs online from most of the major stores. Really only made by a few companies now under diff names.

george_k
04-26-2006, 09:40 AM
So far I'm either looking at the Actron PocketScan Code Reader CP9125 or the pc-based diagnostics from autoenginuity.

MT-2500
04-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Can somebody recommend a good scanner?

Thanks in advance!

George

How much do you want one to do and what price range?
What kind of cars and years will you be scanning?
Have you got a good lap top pc?
Do you want one just for engine data or just codes?
Or one to do transmission air bags and abs brakes and body computers?
MT-2500 is my choice /bag. Been using one for 25 years.
MT

scholzee
04-26-2006, 01:30 PM
I have the Autoeginuity for my laptop and have been very pleased with it. I have had it for 1 year and I believe they have updated the software about 3 times already and it keeps getting better and better, The software is downloaded free from their website. Be careful who you tell about it, at work I am in the parking lot about once a week helping people out. A reader is not any magic fix, I have been working on cars for 30 years and a reader is only another tool, you still have to understand many mechanical and electrical systems to get to the true root cause of the problem. Just because the reader said O2 sensor was out of range does not nessicarily meanits bad something else may have caused it to read flaky. There are also many parts or systems that can fail without the OBDII system knowing, if it sends a signal to the EGR to activate it does not always now if the signal got there or that it opened a valve. It is not the magic fix all just another tool !!

firepaw
04-26-2006, 08:18 PM
George,
Visit Auterraweb.com, then "Google" for some reviews. I recently picked up one of these to use with an older P3 Thinkpad. A very impressive system.

Compare Auterra with the other systems available, and if you like the specs, check out Ebay. I got mine there, in a plain box, for about $30.00 under retail.

Tom

BlazerLT
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
MT-2500 is the best, you can get them off of ebay relatively cheap.

dmbrisket 51
04-28-2006, 12:43 AM
blazerlt is right, master tech;s have to be one of/the best scan tool for all different companies

BlazerLT
04-28-2006, 12:58 AM
With the appropriate modules, you can check absolutely everything with them including such things as tranny fluid temperature which I knew we had until a mechanic showed me.

Add your comment to this topic!