Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Xenon HID Lighting Upgrades

TRD43
04-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Hello,

Im just curious as to whether anyone has considered upgrading the lighting on the Crown Victoria. I found a product that has really intrigued me however before I spend my money Im just curious as to whether anyone has had any experience:

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=94

http://www.xenondepot.com/images/product/HID-XD3017_lrg.gif

This is direct replacement for our stock headlight with an proper HID headlight for the car. The retailer has assured me that it is completely DOT compliant and street legal.

My wife's car has this type of lighting and the difference is honestly like day and night. Getting in my car after driving hers I feel the need to check if my headlights are even on..

Thanks
T

cobradude360
04-27-2006, 11:13 AM
nice but a grand i dont think its worth it mayb some highintensity bulbs just a thought

ModMech
04-29-2006, 11:04 AM
There is no LEGAL way to upgrade to HIDs on an older CV/GM/TC.

In order to install HIDs:

1) The vehicle MUST have some method of AUTOMATICALLY correcting the headlight aiming under various vehicle loads (prevent upward projection during trunk/passenger loading).

2) Be equipped with unique reflectors in the headlamp housing to properly focus the light beam (you CANNOT LEGALLY re-use the stock light assemblies).

3) There are no "high beams" with HIDs.

I know of exactly one person who spent the $$$ and did this as close to legally as you can. He replaced both headlamp assemblies with HID compliant models, installed the HID lamps and power packs, and the car had "rear air suspension" that automatically maintains correct ride attitude so not to project the HID beam to high when loaded heavily in the rear.

As I recall, this cost about $1700.

TRD43
04-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Modmech thanks for your reply.

I looked into this further:

1) Yes, these units are DOT compliant and street legal. They comply with FMVSS108. No a side note, not all cars that come with HIDs from the factory have auto leveling.

2) This product is not using our stock headlights. You are purchasing a completely new headlight that is designed for HID. No there will not be high beam HID however the low beam will be HID. Some cars do have HID "hid beam" through the use of a bi-xenon projector however this headlight does not have this. This is a low beam only HID headlight.

kennybopaloo
04-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Those HIDs look real nice. If the price came down a few hundred $$$, I would consider them.

:frown:

ModMech
04-29-2006, 10:04 PM
I looked into this further:

1) Yes, these units are DOT compliant and street legal. They comply with FMVSS108. No a side note, not all cars that come with HIDs from the factory have auto leveling.

Correct, however it is my understanding that the LIGHTS must be "auto correcting" in terms of horizontal aiming if the suspension is not.

I do recall hearing that not all OE HID's even meet this requirement, and that DOT is not really enforcing their own rules (there's a big shock for you).

Add your comment to this topic!