Need to find a 12v wire

blk_srt
04-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Anyone know the location of a 12v ignition(hot when key is on) wire in or near the center cousil? I need to find one for my ebc and I'm not sure what to tap into. I know I could use the cd player acc wire but I'd like to find another wire if possible. Thanks

ned032002
04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
You could hook a wire straight up to the battery but put in a toggle switch to turn it on and off. Sounds a bit rigged but you might be able to make it look cool even with a toggle.

blk_srt
04-24-2006, 06:34 PM
well I'd rather have it come on automatically when the ignition is on

gthompson97
04-24-2006, 06:34 PM
You could hook a wire straight up to the battery but put in a toggle switch to turn it on and off. Sounds a bit rigged but you might be able to make it look cool even with a toggle.

I would never suggest that. Pr, if you can find a wiring shematics of the steering column, there should be an ignition wire you can tap into in there.

ned032002
04-24-2006, 06:42 PM
I would never suggest that.

Seriously, is there a chance that something could go wrong? I don't know much about the durability of a toggle switch.

ez1286
04-24-2006, 06:46 PM
The lighter has an ignition power. Use that it should be red or black with red.

gthompson97
04-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Seriously, is there a chance that something could go wrong? I don't know much about the durability of a toggle switch.

First off, it's the most ghetto ass way to ever wire up anything and second, with a direct hook up to the battery, if anything ever happened to the wire between the power source and what it's feeding, you'll always have a hot wire because of no fuse. Yes you could put one in, but it's still not the correct way to wire something up. And he would have to turn it off everytime he got out of the car, otherwise it would drain his battery over time.

ned032002
04-24-2006, 06:54 PM
First off, it's the most ghetto ass way to ever wire up anything

I agree that it is ghetto but it was still just a suggestion.

blk_srt
04-24-2006, 07:25 PM
The lighter has an ignition power. Use that it should be red or black with red.
OK thanks, thats what I wanted to tap into but wasnt sure which wire was for the actual power and what was for the light

blk_srt
04-24-2006, 07:33 PM
ok there is a black and grey one, a blue and grey one(both have their own connectors) and on the same conector there is a black and yellow one and a green and white one. I'm guessing its the black and yellow?

TTalon
04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
you can tap the radio harness, the cig lighter -
if the car came with a factory amp then you have +12v sitting under the passenger seat.

If it was me - id run it to the fues block -

blk_srt
04-24-2006, 07:44 PM
you can tap the radio harness, the cig lighter -
if the car came with a factory amp then you have +12v sitting under the passenger seat.

If it was me - id run it to the fues block -
I know where I'm going to put it, I just want to know what wire is hot

gthompson97
04-24-2006, 07:49 PM
I know where I'm going to put it, I just want to know what wire is hot

Try find a wiring schematics so you KNOW you got the right one, don't you have a program for that in your school shop?

blk_srt
04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
yeah, I can look it up on alldata tomorrow, I just kind of wanted to finish it tonight even though my car isnt going anywhere since there isnt any ic pipes on it

ez1286
04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
black with yellow should be it. do you have a multimeter to test it with? If not just get a small light bulb and hold one side on the wire and the other on a ground.

blk_srt
04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I'm going to either get a wire diagrahm tomorrow and/;or use my meter to figure it out.

ez1286
04-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I'm going to either get a wire diagrahm tomorrow and/;or use my meter to figure it out.
I'm almost positive black witha yellow stripe is a power.

blk_srt
04-24-2006, 10:11 PM
I am to considering the alternative is green, and how often is green the hot wire?

crunchymilk55
04-25-2006, 12:26 AM
there should be a yellow on your radio harness, that's on when the ignition is.

blk_srt
04-25-2006, 05:49 PM
found it. Ez was wrong, it was the blue wire not the black one:wink:

kjewer1
04-27-2006, 03:21 AM
Cig lighters have positive on the center pin and ground on the outside/body. ;) Easiest way I know of to sort that out.

gstclips
04-27-2006, 09:07 AM
I dont see anything wrong witht he toggle switch idea...I have had it done to my car for the past 3 years. I have a fairly good sized wire running from the batterry into the car (with an inline fuse). It powers my radar, interior blue lights and my gauges on the pillar....:grinyes:

To everyone thier own i guess

kjewer1
04-27-2006, 09:11 AM
As long as it's fused there is nothing "wrong" with it.

Here is what I like to do, and will be doing it to the EVO possibly today. Long list of shit to do though. Run a large guage wire (usually 10 or 8) into the passenger compartment from the battery, with a fuse of course. Then set up a distribution system to attach all of your accessories to. Advance Auto sells a nice 6 way fuse block with a cover that you could use, with 1/4" male spade outputs. Just crimp a fully insulated female spade onto your 12v line and slide it on, and insert a fuse of the appropriate value. Clean, safe way to install all your bullshit, like EBC, gauges, power inverter for DSMlink (hardwired), etc.

blk_srt
04-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey kevin, speaking of dsmlink, this summer I want to build a pc for my car and I remember you talking about a power supply specifically for that application. Do you have a link for it or any more info on it?

kjewer1
04-27-2006, 08:59 PM
I can never remember. I have to google it every time, and it's a few links deep into the internet maze :) There are no REAL good sites for this type of thing. If I think of it when I have some time I'll try to give it another search. I used to have it bookmarked, until a HD failure way back.

blk_srt
04-27-2006, 09:01 PM
any other suggestions for my creation? the only other thing I was wondering about is the monitor and I was thinking about using a 7" wide screen intergrated in the cdenter counsil where the radio and storage area are.

gthompson97
04-28-2006, 06:14 AM
I was thinking about using a 7" wide screen intergrated in the cdenter counsil where the radio and storage area are.

That's what I'm going to be doing when I put one in my car, I just seems like the most logical way to put it.

blk_srt
04-28-2006, 11:23 PM
I just need to figure out what to do for a hard drive because a normal pc unit wont hold up to all the bumps and such so maybe a laptop one will hold up a little better

ned032002
05-01-2006, 06:36 AM
Run a large guage wire (usually 10 or 8) into the passenger compartment from the battery, with a fuse of course. Then set up a distribution system to attach all of your accessories to. Advance Auto sells a nice 6 way fuse block with a cover that you could use, with 1/4" male spade outputs. Just crimp a fully insulated female spade onto your 12v line and slide it on, and insert a fuse of the appropriate value. Clean, safe way to install all your bullshit, like EBC, gauges, power inverter for DSMlink (hardwired), etc.

That is an awesome idea, how much does the fuse block cost? Wow I can't imagine how easy that makes things.:grinyes:

kjewer1
05-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Picked it up for about 6 bucks at Advanced.

Add your comment to this topic!