Front driver's side wheel squeaking non-stop- what is it?

2talll
04-24-2006, 06:20 PM
The other night I was out shopping and when I get in my 99 Explorer Sport and started driving, there was a squeaking/rattling coming from the drivers side front wheel area. It starts out slow and gradually gets louder and faster and the car is going faster. The only time it stops is right as I engage the brakes- then it gets significantly quieter until the car comes near stopping when it starts getting loud again.

Any ideas what it is?

bumpinkicker04
04-25-2006, 09:48 PM
The other night I was out shopping and when I get in my 99 Explorer Sport and started driving, there was a squeaking/rattling coming from the drivers side front wheel area. It starts out slow and gradually gets louder and faster and the car is going faster. The only time it stops is right as I engage the brakes- then it gets significantly quieter until the car comes near stopping when it starts getting loud again.

Any ideas what it is?

Inner grease bearing seal. It rubs against the inside of the housing. The replacement seals run about 10-15 apiece. I had the labor quoted at a local shop for $250.

2talll
04-26-2006, 11:11 AM
How easy is it to replace the inner bearing seal? My brother will do it for me if it's not too hard or will take too long. I'd hate to pay 250 for the garage to do it and take all day if he can have it done quickly.

bumpinkicker04
04-26-2006, 09:15 PM
How easy is it to replace the inner bearing seal? My brother will do it for me if it's not too hard or will take too long. I'd hate to pay 250 for the garage to do it and take all day if he can have it done quickly.

is it 4wd, 2wd, or awd?

2talll
04-26-2006, 10:23 PM
4wd

Just found out from my parents that my brother is out of town until some time Friday for his wife's bday so most likely he'll check it during his lunch break on Saturday and then we'll plan on fixing it another day since he's going to a car show all day Sunday.

LukeJ
04-27-2006, 07:48 AM
If it does not turn out to be inner grease seal there are a few other things that can cause that noise, your spindle backing plate could be bent and is rubbing on something (just bend back), some thing metal on the brake pads could be rubbing on other metal like the squealer on the pad or the pad backing(one or both pads even on a single tire could wear prematurely on just one tire because a caliper is not work correctly- check your pads inboard and outboard for unusual wear, tapering. if caliper locating pins are sticking keeping one or both pads in too much contact with caliper ((pads are always in contact with rotor normally just not enough to cause braking friction.)) you need to disassemble rotor cleaning every part of the rotor especially locating pins or slides ((which ever style of caliper it is)) including the rubber boot that encompasses the caliper piston or pistons with brake cleaner than lube with approved *brake part lubricant* other lubes will gum up causing the caliper to stick again. Your rotor,s runout could be out of spec (warped), how long has it been since you replaced your rotor or had it turned, a rotor is generally only good for two brake jobs than is too thin to be used (a rotor beyond minimum spec. will not transfer the heat created by braking and warp. a rotor doesn't have to be worn all that much to warp from the heat either.) A pep boys or autozone will be able to tell you when you bring in rotors or drums, if there meeting size specs, runout, parallelism or out-of-round(drums if you have them) and whether they can be machined or not. hope this helps.

bumpinkicker04
04-28-2006, 12:47 AM

It's not that quick of a job. You have to pull the spindle and the halfshaft to replace the seal. I need to look at the recall and see if it affected the sport or not. I know it affected the 99-01 model years. But you need a few tools that most people don't just have laying around (2 jaw puller, balljoint separator). If your brother is experienced I would say maybe 4-6 hours for both sides in a driveway. Here is the post that i got the info for mine from.
Good luck

cougarman "I did some resrearch,,Found the answer.
Ford has a tsb on the issue. TSB # 01-11-4 Titled -
Noise-"squeeling" or Whistling noise from front axle area - driving at speeds of 10-40 mph -4x4 vehicles only - Revised front outer halfshaft dust seals.
TSB applies to Explorer/ Mountaineer 1998-2001 .

The noise may be caused by the front halfshaft excluder (dust) seals as they rotate against the inner front hubs. The noise may be more pronounced in cold weather conditions.

You have to replace the seals with Ford # YL2Z-3K070-AA , 2 required , one each side. Both half shafts have to be removed for installation.
The seal is pressed on the outer race of the outer cv joint , then spread 1/8 "thick bead of hi-temp wheel bearing grease on new seal lips before reinstalling c/v and axle thru the cleaned knuckle.

Any more questions, please contact me. Have fun."

2talll
04-29-2006, 08:34 AM
THanks Luke, I made of list of all that stuff and will see if he can take at look at that as well.

Bumpkin,
I'll do some digging on the TSB later on the net and will have my parents call the Ford I bought it at to see if it's covered. My Ford dealer is beyong incompetent! I was having problems with hard start-ups in the morning during the winter and when I brought it to them they suggested $1000+ in fixes that "might fix it." So I did some digging on this site and another Explorer board and found there was a TSB for something to fix it. So I called them back asking why they suggested all that work if there was a SPECIFIC TSB to fix the problem and their answer was "it's not their reponsibility to keep track of all the recalls and TSBs- it's the customers job to inform them before they start doing work." Needless to say I had my hometown dealer fix it when I was at my parents for a few days. They said that answer I got was BS- they are supposed to not only know of the recalls and TSBs, but if you've had work done there and are in their computer, they are supposed to call you and inform you when there is a recall or TSB that applies to your vehicle.

As for the bearings, him doing it this weekend is out since he is working today and going to a car show tomorrow, but between him and his wife they have everything they could possible need to fix cars since he works at a dodge dealer and she's at a chevy dealer (or something like that). THey can take what they need to work on their days off home with them.

Hopefully he'll at least take a look at the wheel sometime quickly this weekend to see if it's one of the simple things before worrying about getting "big stuff" done.

THanks for the help.

bumpinkicker04
04-29-2006, 02:01 PM
THanks Luke, I made of list of all that stuff and will see if he can take at look at that as well.

Bumpkin,
I'll do some digging on the TSB later on the net and will have my parents call the.....

They are not required to inform owners of TSB only safety recalls. But when you take it in your dealer should be honest enough to tell you that the problem you are having has a specific tsb. But there is a website called mycarstats.com that has lists of all the recalls and tsb reports for vehicles.

2talll
04-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Well I drove the 45 minutes to have my brother look at at work, and half-where there the noises just stopped. He took the tire off anyway and looked at everything and he couldn't find anything wrong- the rotor was perfect since he just replaced that a couple months ago, the bearings were fine. He thinks there must have been dust built up somewhere from me not driving much at all for nearly 2 weeks because I was sick, driving through construction where there's dirt road everyday on the way to work, and the fact that it was raining all day before the noises started. He said driving on the highway at higher speeds must have gotten rid of whatever was making the noise.

I'll keep the TSB info just in case the noise comes back again. THanks for the help!

Add your comment to this topic!