Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'89 Wrangler starting problem

97Bird
04-24-2006, 05:08 PM
A friend just bought a jeep that won't start with the key in the start position. The engine turns over fine but doesn't fire and there is 10 volts at the positive terminal of the coil when the key is in the start position. You have to release the key to the run position for it to actually run. Where is the ignition module located in this Wrangler? Anyone else have this problem? Do these Jeeps develop water leaks into the interior through the cowl vents? The front floors are quite rusty. Thanks for your help.

fredjacksonsan
04-28-2006, 12:38 PM
So are you saying that by putting the key in the run position (assuming after engaging starter) that it runs fine? If so, sounds like a problem with the ignition switch.

If you've got rusted out floorboards, I'd think that the rest of the vehicle will have some rust also - it is after all 17+ years old.

97Bird
04-29-2006, 06:39 PM
The problem was the ignition module as I suspected. It just took me a while to find it. The Jeep is very solid with very little rust. The floors aren't rotted out but have surface rust on the front. I was told there is a drain in the cowl that is probably plugged up so he will take the cowl grille off and try to clean it out.

Add your comment to this topic!