Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Ford Ranger Clutch cable removal

rackman
04-24-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm replacing the clutch on my Mazda / 1995 Ford Ranger I've got the transmision loose and trying to figure out how to remove the Clutch cable from the trans housing to complete the trans removal.
Thanks
Rack

Mac626
04-24-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm replacing the clutch on my Mazda / 1995 Ford Ranger I've got the transmision loose and trying to figure out how to remove the Clutch cable from the trans housing to complete the trans removal.
Thanks
Rack

I just finished pulling the tranny out of my 94. I assume you are talking about the main hydraulic line to the clutch. You can do one of two things.

1) go down to Autozone and buy the package of hydraulic coupling plastic release thingies for about $15; or,

2) make one yourself. This is what I did. I found an old plastic 35mm film canister and cut off the bottom so that I had an open cylinder. Then I made a long cut down the side to split it open and trimmed the edges so when I pinched it closed it was about the same diameter as the hydo line. Then I slipped it around the line and forced it down into the coupling (it has to go down about 1/4 inch into it). That releases the metal tines and you can then pull the line right out.

Add your comment to this topic!