Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Squeemish dont look

Mr Wiggl3s
04-23-2006, 08:22 PM
http://carsinbarns.com/Superbirds%20&%20Daytonas/pg19.html

Get a box of tissues guys

1970 Plymoth Superbird Hemi
1 of 93 ever made

TheStang00
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
fucking idiots parting out the car!

VR43000GT
04-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Too bad to see a Superbird like that. They were hated by some (mostly chevy and ford fans) back in the day the when they raced their production cars. Mainly for the fact that they produced just enough to race it as a production car with all the others. Some considered it cheating. Very expensive now and were very successful in the racing competition.

-The Stig-
04-23-2006, 08:44 PM
:(..

Polygon
04-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Being a Mopar fan that makes me want to kill someone. :chair:

carrrnuttt
04-23-2006, 09:14 PM
:eek: :disappoin :frown: :cya: = my expressions as I saw those pics.

vwracer14
04-23-2006, 09:45 PM
i think it would have looked cool to clean it real good and clear coat it so it would have looked old

like alot of people are doing with old bugs

to bad it was parted out

Mr Wiggl3s
04-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Too bad to see a Superbird like that. They were hated by some (mostly chevy and ford fans) back in the day the when they raced their production cars. Mainly for the fact that they produced just enough to race it as a production car with all the others. Some considered it cheating. Very expensive now and were very successful in the racing competition.
I have been reading up on them because, they are my dream car :icon16: They actually have a pretty interesting history. How they were uesd for racing, and people didn't like them.

i think it would have looked cool to clean it real good and clear coat it so it would have looked old

like alot of people are doing with old bugs

to bad it was parted out
Dude, its fun just to sit here and tilt my head at your sig. Really

TheStang00
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Being a Mopar fan that makes me want to kill someone. :chair:

not even a mopar guy... but i feel the same way

Musashi3000GT
04-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Whats a "carb" ? :p

J/k dont kill me! Man that sucks! I actually got a ride in one of those when I was like 8.
My dad's old mechanic was a monster at rebuilding old muscle cars. at one time he had a Superbird and took me and the old man for a screaming run down the street.

Chiquae07
04-23-2006, 11:47 PM
makes me even feel bad since im not a big domestic fan, but dont hate them. that would be the equivlent of a lot of us a r30 skyline just sitting parked outside in rust....

pimprolla112
04-24-2006, 12:16 AM
^ man i know how you feel about that. Skyline is practically every tuners dream car. Damn those superbirds where nice, i dont remember the rear wing being that tall though. Idiots parting out a car worth far more than he could imagine, then again the parts alone are worth a small fortune today.

CBFryman
04-24-2006, 07:45 AM
superbird=ghey imo....

every time i see one now all i can think of is "Does THIS look queer?!"

clawhammer
04-24-2006, 10:57 AM
And these people make fun of ricers for their huge wings :rolleyes:

-The Stig-
04-24-2006, 01:04 PM
And these people make fun of ricers for their huge wings :rolleyes:

At least that one comes factory installed, and serves a bit of purpose... they were actually wind tunnel tested to provide downforce, something which I doubt is done with the wings you buy off the shelf for cars these days.

The Superbirds were just street going versions of the race cars which used the large wings. Of course, they were outlawed soon after cause they were out pacing the competition by large amounts.

VR43000GT
04-24-2006, 01:06 PM
^^^(clawhammer) The wings were actually used (unlike ricers) when they raced it agianst chevy and ford. Not to mention it is a RWD which rear spoilers are generally more useful for that type of drive train. Superbirds were and still are one of my favorites.

Edit: Yeah, basically what Red said.

-The Stig-
04-24-2006, 01:38 PM

More or less... :p

TheStang00
04-24-2006, 02:46 PM
:werd:

that car is a bit of racing history. the only reason they sold it was for nascar use. so yes, we can still make fun of ricers for thier gay ass huge wings.

CBFryman
04-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Superbird wings are the gayset thing about the car next to the 30ft chassis.

Im sure many aftermarket wings will provide downforce, its the drag coefficent that makes it really gay besides the fact the car cant even go fast enough for the car to even see any benefit and is generally a FWD vehicle that only dragraces. The Superbird is so heavy though i doubt it would get much of a light rear end...and it certianly cant travle around corners fast enough for it to be of any use sooo....just as worthless. Mopar put it on for looks, back then they where on the verge of designing aerofoils that where of low drag but high lift. Of course the superbird is so long and wide a little more drag fro mthe worlds largest factory wing wont hurt, especially with the coke bottle shape which is the least areodynamic shape to have. So all tha wind tunnel testing didnt do much.

My point is they are so popular because the won so much in NASCAR, have a ton of power, and are really rare. Not because of their performance in arodynamics or an arodunmaic marvles of their time.

-Josh-
04-24-2006, 04:17 PM
I shed a tear seeing that, i really did.

xXxRocker5150
04-24-2006, 04:40 PM
My point is they are so popular because the won so much in NASCAR, have a ton of power, and are really rare. Not because of their performance in arodynamics or an arodunmaic marvles of their time.

Isn't that pretty much what NASCAR is all about... speed and aerodynamics... besides, they were ahead of their time, they were one of the if not the only muscle cars to not have the box front grill, and plus the wing (as already stated) served an aerodynamic purpose. When has mopar ever built rice?? (SRT-4 excluded, b/c I know someone's gonna' say something about the big rear wing on a FWD car).

CBFryman
04-24-2006, 04:49 PM
the superbird IS rice IMO...the wing did nothing for areodynamics. Today that is what Nascar is all about, because engineers have advanced. Back then it was tons of power on an elongeted chassis tearing around the track. That is what hte muscle car era was all about...muscle. Nothing but raw power.

Mr Wiggl3s
04-24-2006, 04:50 PM
^^^(clawhammer) The wings were actually used (unlike ricers) when they raced it agianst chevy and ford. Not to mention it is a RWD which rear spoilers are generally more useful for that type of drive train. Superbirds were and still are one of my favorites.

Technecly they were useless under ~100 MPH

Polygon
04-24-2006, 05:20 PM
the superbird IS rice IMO...the wing did nothing for areodynamics. Today that is what Nascar is all about, because engineers have advanced. Back then it was tons of power on an elongeted chassis tearing around the track. That is what hte muscle car era was all about...muscle. Nothing but raw power.

Once again man, you're wrong.

The Superbird was just a Road Runner with a, wind tunnel tested, aero package and the Charger Daytona was a Charger with the same treatment. That wing supplied enough downforce to keep that planted. The only reason the wing was that large was because you couldn’t open the trunk otherwise they would have made it shorter. Also, if you think that just because they were heavy they had no need for the wing then you know nothing about aerodynamics. That wing allowed the Charger Daytona to be the first American car to break 200 MPH.

That is impressive; I don't care what you say. The Charger Daytona and the Superbird were America’s first supercars.

VR43000GT
04-24-2006, 06:18 PM
the superbird IS rice IMO

:wtf:

:twak:

VR43000GT
04-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Technecly they were useless under ~100 MPH

Your going to have to make a point with that statement because I dont really know what your getting at. The Superbird was designed to race on the Nascar track which it went over 100mph almost the entire time. :)

CBFryman
04-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Once again man, you're wrong.

The Superbird was just a Road Runner with a, wind tunnel tested, aero package and the Charger Daytona was a Charger with the same treatment. That wing supplied enough downforce to keep that planted. The only reason the wing was that large was because you couldn’t open the trunk otherwise they would have made it shorter. Also, if you think that just because they were heavy they had no need for the wing then you know nothing about aerodynamics. That wing allowed the Charger Daytona to be the first American car to break 200 MPH.

That is impressive; I don't care what you say. The Charger Daytona and the Superbird were America’s first supercars.

:grinno:
windtunnel test or not, ive seen one in real life up close and examened it, it barely has an arofoil shape, it is hardly angled down...worthless untill yo ureach 200mph. It wasnt the wing that allowed it to reach 200mph...it was a powerplant conservatively rated at what? 400hp to meed emmisions and it was really churning 600hp to the wheels............at half throttle.

a car museaum by the ringling museum had a fully restored one, i was more impressed with the deloran (sp) :lol: "i bet he cant hit 80mph!!" :rofl:

TheStang00
04-24-2006, 08:35 PM
The Superbird is so heavy though i doubt it would get much of a light rear end...and it certianly cant travle around corners fast enough for it to be of any use sooo....just as worthless. Mopar put it on for looks, back then they where on the verge of designing aerofoils that where of low drag but high lift. Of course the superbird is so long and wide a little more drag fro mthe worlds largest factory wing wont hurt, especially with the coke bottle shape which is the least areodynamic shape to have. So all tha wind tunnel testing didnt do much.

that is so wrong... i just dont know what to think. so i guess 200mph isnt fast enough for the wing to be of any use :rolleyes: why do you think they won so much in nascar... aero dynamics certainly played a role in that.

-The Stig-
04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
windtunnel test or not, ive seen one in real life up close and examened it, it barely has an arofoil shape, it is hardly angled down...

Hmm. So without the aid of a windtunnel or actually having driven the car... you proved race car designers useless with your highly trained eye??

Wow... somebody should hire you.

TheStang00
04-24-2006, 08:43 PM
windtunnel test or not, ive seen one in real life up close and examened it, it barely has an arofoil shape, it is hardly angled down...worthless untill yo ureach 200mph. It wasnt the wing that allowed it to reach 200mph...it was a powerplant conservatively rated at what? 400hp to meed emmisions and it was really churning 600hp to the wheels............at half throttle.

a car museaum by the ringling museum had a fully restored one, i was more impressed with the deloran (sp) :lol: "i bet he cant hit 80mph!!" :rofl:

so because its not angled down... means that it doesnt cut through air better... right

it may create a bunch of lift at high speed, but it still cuts through air a hell of a lot better than the old square front ends.

and you right, it wasnt the wing that allowed it to reach 200 mph, it was the aero dynamics and engine, mostly that nose. the wing just kept the rear end planted so the car could turn at those speeds. otherwise it would have gone straight into the outside wall.

VR43000GT
04-24-2006, 08:44 PM
^^ Dont you know Stang00? CBFryman knows more about designing super cars than the manufacturers themselves. Its so clear now! :thumbsdow

:shakehead

:lol:

TheStang00
04-24-2006, 08:45 PM
^ nice sig

Mr Wiggl3s
04-24-2006, 10:03 PM
:iamwithst

VR43000GT
04-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Thank you, thats actually how it all started.

As Red would say, "True Story".

CivRacer95
04-25-2006, 12:15 AM
That really is a touching story...kinda makes me want to go out and find the car for that gentlemen.

-Josh-
04-25-2006, 07:46 AM
Hmm. So without the aid of a windtunnel or actually having driven the car... you proved race car designers useless with your highly trained eye??

Wow... somebody should hire you.

:rofl:

Mr Wiggl3s
04-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Your going to have to make a point with that statement because I dont really know what your getting at. The Superbird was designed to race on the Nascar track which it went over 100mph almost the entire time. :)

Comments: Trying to capture some of the success that their Dodge brothers had in 1969 with their Daytona, Plymouth tried the same thing in 1970 with their creation, the Plymouth Superbird. Although similar in appearance, the Superbird was actually quite different from the Daytona. The Superbird was based on the Plymouth Road Runner and the nose, airfoil, and basic sheet metal was different between the Daytona and Superbird. The special nose added 19 inches to the overall length (the Daytona's was 18 inches), and the trunk spoiler was more angled and higher than the Daytonas. On both models, the spoiler was two feet high so that the owner could open the trunk. Although it created quite an impression on the street, the wing did almost no aerodynamic good under 90 mph.
Linkp (http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/plymouth-superbird/plymouth-superbird-history.shtml)

Well i said 100 it was 90 my bad

CBFryman
04-26-2006, 12:28 PM
^^ Dont you know Stang00? CBFryman knows more about designing super cars than the manufacturers themselves. Its so clear now! :thumbsdow

:shakehead

im the child prodigy of supercars...no one told you guys :lol:

VR43000GT
04-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I wouldnt have guessed that since you own B3000. How is that for aerodynamics anyway? :icon16:

vwracer14
04-26-2006, 01:05 PM
I wouldnt have guessed that since you own B3000. How is that for aerodynamics anyway? :icon16:

at around 200 the rear end gets a little light

but he can go faster

TheStang00
04-26-2006, 01:20 PM
How is that for aerodynamics anyway? :icon16:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Aerogelbrick.jpg/250px-Aerogelbrick.jpg

CBFryman
04-26-2006, 04:06 PM
what you guys done see is that i have 7 spoilers under the truck and the tail gate drops down half way, super spoiler....

-The Stig-
04-26-2006, 07:29 PM
what you guys done see is that i have 7 spoilers under the truck and the tail gate drops down half way, super spoiler....

Ricer.

TheStang00
04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Ricer.

:werd:

CivRacer95
04-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Ricer.

Buddy Lee agrees...

clawhammer
04-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Civ? What's that in your signature about boost being better? New car?

xXxRocker5150
04-27-2006, 09:43 AM
^that's what I wanna' know too....

CivRacer95
04-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Civ? What's that in your signature about boost being better? New car?

Yep...I love it. Boost is so fun!!

-Josh-
04-27-2006, 12:47 PM
:evillol: at civ...

-The Stig-
04-27-2006, 01:52 PM
:evillol: at civ...

:evillol: at you both.

clawhammer
04-27-2006, 03:50 PM
What car is it?

CBFryman
04-27-2006, 04:48 PM
turbo monkey slinger.

VR43000GT
04-27-2006, 05:39 PM
What car is it?

It think its the one with the turbo charged monkey on a treadmill.

CivRacer95
04-28-2006, 10:20 AM
You'll all have to wait. It's still in progress. Although it's not an uncommon car. But don't ruin this thread. I'll make one when I'm ready.

:evillol:

TheStang00
04-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Although it's not an uncommon car.
:evillol:

ok so that means my bets are 240sx, or civic.

Add your comment to this topic!