Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 CVPI vapor sensor- "check engine" light

1blackcrownvic
04-22-2006, 09:01 AM
on my 98 crown vic. my "check engine " light is on after i had it reset, the mech says its the vapor sensor (under the gas tank) does this sound right to you guys?.. i just picked one up at a junkyard, but was gonna wait for some more info til i got down and dirty and threw it in. whaddya think?

way2old
04-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Do you remember the exact code number? Makes it a lot easier to research it for you.

1blackcrownvic
04-22-2006, 02:51 PM
..the code number? hell, im lucky if i remember my name! i could probably call my my buddy (a mechanic up north, who reset the damn thing) and see if he remembers, but i recall him saying that the code indicated that the vapor sensor was detecting a massive leak..this just after i put a new fuel pump in ,to boot.. no leaks though, yep, i checked..it would go on only if i gassed up with gulp! the engine still running..say about 15 mins or so later i had it reset, but it just keeps on going on again..

way2old
04-22-2006, 05:16 PM
If it is P0455 it is a gross evapleak. May just be the seal around the gas cap. Or it may be a hole in one of the evap lines or a solenoid stuck on or off causing the system to not build up the required pressure.

1blackcrownvic
04-22-2006, 07:16 PM
..ahah! gross evapleak! THATS what it was coding as.. i dont know where i got the "massive" leak from, close enough i guess anyhow, where are the solenoids located..i wonder if the work i did on the in-tank fuel pump may have caused this..hmm

way2old
04-22-2006, 07:49 PM
The cannister vent is located under the trunk inside the little black metal case. The cannister purge or vapor management valve is located under the hood on passenger side attached to the cowl just above the engine. There is a fuel pressure sensor located on top of the fuel tank. Tank needs to be dropped to get to it.

1blackcrownvic
04-24-2006, 08:19 PM
hmm, okay, remember the tie rod mechanic i lucked out on? well, for 20 bucks he also dropped my old vapor sensor (i had a spare in the trunk from a junkyard the previous week) and turns out the sensor -plug thingamajig was cracked.. we just swapped out the sensor, bolted it back up and voila! the "check engine" light went out before the guy even had a chance to reset it.. i outta play the lottery this week, ill tell ya!
way2old.. thanks again!

Add your comment to this topic!