Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 CVPI tie rod end

1blackcrownvic
04-22-2006, 08:54 AM
hey bros..ive got to change the drivers side tie-rod end ball socket, i dont think the install will be a problem, but how do i adjust the toe..in my driveway??

way2old
04-22-2006, 01:24 PM
All you can do is get it close. Measure the inside front of the wheel, not tire, to a stationary point on the frame or undercarriage. Write it down and after installation of new tie rod, adjust back to the same place. Make sure the mesurement is taken at the same spot both times. Then it willneed an alignment to get it accurate.

1blackcrownvic
04-22-2006, 02:53 PM
...way2old! thanks again, bro..such a simple solution never would've occurred to me! gonna get to it as soon as this rain stops...now, if i can just find my "pickle-fork"

radioman2002
04-23-2006, 07:28 PM
If you don't mind trashing the old tie rod end, and your new tie rod end comes with a new nut, I remove the old nut, turn it upside down retighten it to a point where the nut is flush with the top of the bolt. Then whack it with a hammer, never had any trouble removing them this way, it's crude but does work.

1blackcrownvic
04-24-2006, 08:15 PM
..well, since i didnt have the means to herk-a-majerk around with the toe adjustments, i went to advance auto parts and bought a new tie rod end foe 28.00..while i was eyeballing the part, the guy behind the counter asked me if i had anyone in mind to do the work......imagine my surprise! anyhow, turns out he has a fully equipped shop and did the deed for 35.00 labor. by the time my coffee and cig was done so was he! but.thanks for all the input guys!

Add your comment to this topic!