Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1 of 3 Detriots big player calling it quits?

Dreamspawn
04-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Another jayski story this one very very intersting to me

One of the Manufacturers pulling out of NASCAR? UPDATE GM? an autoextremeist.com column is reporting that: It has come to our attention that serious discussions are taking place for the first time in the conference rooms of one domestic manufacturer in particular on a subject heretofore unthinkable in Detroit. The subject? Pulling out of NASCAR. Yes, it has been mentioned before, and I have predicted it for months now - ever since the announcement was made that Toyota would be buying its way into the France family circus - but we have confirmation that not only are the discussions taking place, they're so far down the road that a timetable for a pullout has been created, taking into account the end dates of existing contracts with individual racing teams currently aligned with this particular manufacturer. This Detroit manufacturer has decided that if it competes in motorsports in the future, it will only compete in three basic areas: 1. In production-based racing series that by rule and specification retain more than a passing resemblance to the cars they sell and the competitors they compete against in showrooms. 2. "Technical" efforts, in other words, engine programs for open-wheel and prototype racing series, but stopping short of Formula 1. And 3. Developing an effort to compete for the overall victory at Le Mans. Any other efforts, grass-roots racing, drag racing, etc., would be covered as the need and budget allow.(in part....see full article at autoextremeist.com, note: thr article doesn't say which manufacturer COULD be leaving [Chevy, Dodge, Ford] and this column will only be up a few days), Peter M. DeLorenzo, who owns and writes for the site has been on Speed Channel's Wind Tunnel a few times and tends to be controversal and a bit anti-NASCAR, however doesn't tend to just post stuff for the sake of posting it and has a lot of sources.(4-20-2006)
UPDATE: A report on the website www.autoextremist.com suggested this week that one of Detroit’s big three automakers could pull out of the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series some time after NASCAR’s “Car of Tomorrow” debuts next year. Speculation has centered on Chevrolet, given the Draconian financial state of its parent company, General Motors, which lost $10.6 billion in 2005 and $323 million in the first quarter of ’06. Alba Colon, Chevrolet’s Nextel Cup program manager, said Thursday that if there have been discussions about GM leaving Nextel Cup, she hasn’t been part of them. “I will be honest with you, I just learned about that (the autoextremist.com report) last night,” Colon said Thursday morning at Phoenix International Raceway. “I have never been in a meeting where anything like that has ever been discussed, at least not with me or anyone in my office. We have a commitment with all our teams, a long-term commitment. I can’t comment on the contract we have with our teams, but it’s longer than a year, I can tell you that. It’s more than the end of this year, and it’s not GM’s philosophy to break contracts like that.”(Speed Channel)(4-21-2006)

TheStang00
04-22-2006, 09:39 AM
hmm i was more under the impression that dodge might. idk. i sure hope ford doesnt though, but if you look they only have 9 or 10 cars in the race each week.

CarInfoGuy
04-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Sounds like some serious bullstuff to me. Why not name the manufacturer? Is that because if he doesn't they can all point fingers and no one can sue for libel?

Why would a manufacturer pull out, when the Car of Tomorrow will effectively take their technological investment out of it? That will reduce how much money they spend without reducing the effectiveness, whatever that may be, of being in NASCAR.

Who would drop? Why in the world would Chevrolet scatter their team of Earnhardt, Gordon and Stewart to the other manufacturers? Or Ford let Roush take his business elsewhere? Dodge seems have the least to lose, but Penske, Petty and Evernham's teams certainly have their fans.

Since most of the discussion seems to center around GM, let's look at the potential results of GM leaving the series. Kevin Harvick finds new sponsorship as GM Goodwrench is off the car with RCR switching manufacturers. Jeff Gordon finally takes his fifth championship in...a Dodge Charger? Dale Earnhardt Jr. gets his 77th win...in a Ford Fusion? Tony Stewart wins the Brickyard again...in a Toyota Camry?

While General Motors is in serious financial trouble, they're also the ones getting the most out of their NASCAR dollars. It's either the dumbest thing GM will ever do, or some serious bulls*** getting spread around.

Dreamspawn
04-22-2006, 02:13 PM
MARK my words it wont' be GM sure they are/were domnating at lemans were running the NHRA are killing the sport compact in NHRA. But your biggest fan supported teams is usally GM. DEI,Hendrick,RCR. Ford has RYR and Rousch. I dont see ford doing Le Mans overall victory yes the got a mock up GT40 but last i herd they said if any one wanted to race it at lemans they would do it on there own. Open wheel program they are the only manfactur for CART or whatever they are calling it today. Dodge on the other hand lets face it not doing so hot besides Casey Kahne. LONG RUMORED penske has talked numerous times to Toyota but has denied it. But i havn't herd nething bout a dodge competing for overall victory at lemans or a big drag racing/grass roots program. Who knows but like i said mark my words it wont be gm if it is i will quit watching nascar.

Dreamspawn
04-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Well looks like everybody is holding there cards
From jayski again
UPDATE 2 - Comments from all 3: Reports that one of Detroit's Big Three auto manufacturersmay be considering dropping out of NASCAR racing swirled through the Cup garage, possibly stemming from the report that Ford's SVT (Special Vehicle Team) program may be shut down in October. But Ford's Kevin Kennedy, the company's public-affairs manager for racing, said that there are no plans to get out of NASCAR: "We've seen that story, and I can assure you Ford does not plan on getting out of NASCAR. Our racing program has support at the highest levels of the company, and our research and data has shown conclusively that there's a viable business case for us being involved in the sport in terms of our market share and purchase consideration among race fans. Racing is part of the Ford DNA and has been since Henry Ford raced back in 1901."
General Motors' Pat Suhy, the company's NASCAR director, said that GM isn't leaving, either: "We're here in NASCAR and we're here to stay. It makes good business sense for us to be here. We get a great return on our investment. We have a lot of activation around this around the country with our dealers and our regional dealer groups. And we have great sponsorship partners with our teams. So if there is any truth to that, I don't know about it, and it certainly isn't us."
Ray Evernham, owner of the season's winningest operation, which is sponsored by Dodge dealers, said: "I can't speak for Dodge, but I can tell you I know they're happy. If you look at their stock, it's up. And they're the only American manufacturer with an increase in market share. I've got a really long-term contract with them, and if I were a betting man, I'd bet it's not Daimler."(Winston Salem Journal)(4-22-2006)

Dodge Comments on rumor: COMMENT ON WEB SITE REPORT THAT ONE OF THE BIG THREE MANUFACTURERS IS GOING TO LEAVE NASCAR
John Fernandez, Director of Dodge Motorsports Operations: "I've heard the rumor, but obviously we're not involved in it. I haven't heard anything from General Motors or Ford that indicates they're in any jeopardy. Obviously their total companies right now are having a tough time in the marketplace, but that's happened before and it'll happen again I'm sure. As far as I know, GM and Ford are still committed to NASCAR and committed to racing in the Cup Series. As far as I know right now it's only a rumor."(Clear!Blue/Dodge PR)(4-22-2006)

TheStang00
04-22-2006, 03:48 PM
yeah this report deffinatly sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me too.

Jaguar D-Type
04-27-2006, 04:00 AM
I dont see ford doing Le Mans overall victory yes the got a mock up GT40 but last i herd they said if any one wanted to race it at lemans they would do it on there own.

Two Ford-powered Courage (they make Le Mans prototype chassis) LMP2s will race at the 74th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June of this year.

About the mid-engine Ford GT...

"Mark LoPilato had planned on bringing the Ford GT into WCGT [Speed World Challenge's GT Class] competition but he and his team have thought it best to develop the package this year and bring the GT into full competition in 2007.

LoPilato will instead run the US American Resources Porsche he raced in 2005 while the Ford GT is readied for primetime. LoPilato and his Redline Racing team have been making extensive modifications to make their twin turbo a more competitive package."

- http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm?pagetype=2&form_article=11069

http://www.world-challenge.com/

http://www.theraceforum.com/images/forum/2788-32-3.jpg

http://www.theraceforum.com/images/forum/2788-33-3.jpg

TheStang00
04-27-2006, 10:54 AM
that car is so badass, i just love looking at it.

Add your comment to this topic!