96 sts timing belt

hickmysta
04-20-2006, 04:02 PM
right front side looking down..

i just noticed that the cam belt is frayed,and needs replacing.can i replace that belt by removing the cover,disengauging the tension and sliding the belt right out ,or do i need to do some major pulley disesembling?Also aren't there two belts? thanks in advance

maxwedge
04-20-2006, 04:39 PM
What cam belt there is a chain in this engine, you are looking at some accessory drive belt here.

hickmysta
04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
ok ,after a little research of my own, i find out that this belt is the water pump belt.....is it easy to change..?it looks like i can slide it right out.i havent taken the cover off yet..tomorrow morning project .please advise

hickmysta
04-20-2006, 05:30 PM
well, i got antsy....went out and removed the belt....answered my own questions...i needed to remove the tensioner..took all but 10 mins.
My real shocker was the condition of the belt.holding on by a thred,,amazing..im glad i noticed it,otherwise it was just a matter of time......so now i know the northstar engine uses a timing chain ,and the water pump belt runs off the cam...you learn something new every day.....thanks automotive forum.....:grinyes:

caddydaddy
05-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Actually there's TWO timing chains! :)

Add your comment to this topic!