Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 rodeo.... engine ticking noise @144,000miles

lexa399
04-20-2006, 09:51 AM
I have had a ticking noise under my hood for some time now that I can not trace. I took it into a shop to have someone listen to it and they told me (after I said I thought it was the TB tensioner), that is was probably tensioner. I have a cousin who was a mechanic back in the day tell me that it sounded like "my lifter isnt lifting" as he walked out of my house one day and the car was idleing. From what I understand these sounds are somewhat similar. I just got this car and there was no maint. info available so I dont know if the TB and tensioner need to be replaced or if it is indeed the lifter. The truck has 144000miles on it. Can someone lend their expertise? The ticking is loud, picks up speed with acceleration, and can be heard under the roar of the engine until I hit about 30 mph. If you need more specifics holla at me, I just want to get an idea as to what this may be:banghead:

highlandlake
04-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Do a search on this forum under 'ticking' or 'lifters'. Lots have been said about this, with several options to remedy the situation. It took a major top-end overhaul to cure mine. The rocker shafts and 1/3 of the hydraulic lifters needed replacement. It was due to clogged oil passges. The good news is that over three years later it still runs quiet. But don't rule out your tensioner as the cause. Keep us posted on what you learn about this.

Ramblin Fever
04-20-2006, 10:52 PM
It was due to clogged oil passges. .

What was your oil/filter change interval before you had to do all the work? Just can't see these engines clogging THAT easily with any good oil at 3k intervals.

I am assuming that your the original owner...??

What oil/filter are you using now? Highlandlake

Ramblin Fever
04-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Lexa399 - what oil/filter are you running in that truck right now?

There are some filters that make these engines tick horribly.

Can you tell where the ticking is loudest at? I.e. with hood open, closed, wheel well, etc

These engines are known for being mild tickers - nature of the 3.2L; however, it can be worse IF the previous owner neglected to do frequent oil/filter changes. These trucks LOVE clean oil, and really needs to be changed every 3K.

You *may* be able to lighten the tick with very short and frequent oil/filter changes for a few rounds to help clean out extra gunk. Change the oil while it's warm and do not use any kind of engine flush.

Also do NOT use a Fram oil filter of any kind, seems to make them tick worse.

I'd choose to use either Havoline, Valvoline Maxlife, or Chevron regular oil in the 10w-30 viscosity with either a Bosch, OEM Isuzu, Motorcraft, or Puralator Premium plus oil filter.

With no history, it's hard to say whether or not the timing belt tensioner is coming do, but when they start to go, I can tell you they sound like a rod knocking - it's a HORRIBLE and loud sound that just makes you cringe. They typically last over 100k miles, but the 12yrs of age is pushing the max on that timing belt if it's the original.

lexa399
04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
I have not the slightest idea what filter is in my car currently. I have done no maintenace to it since I have had it and when the oil was changed last I did not do it b/c I fractured my wrist. I am in need of a change shortly and will not get a FRAM filter and I will try the oils you recommended to see if that dulls the noise a bit. Thanks! I have also noticed that the tick is the loudest with the hood open but I dont believe it is loudest near the wheel well and when it is warm, it starts off quieter when I start it in the morning . I will double check though.Thanks for replying even with the little info that i posted to begin with. Have a great day!:tongue:

Ramblin Fever
04-21-2006, 04:45 PM
If it starts off quieter in the morning when the engine is cold, i.e. higher oil pressure, then see if you can't find out what viscosity of oil is currently in the engine - maybe whoever changed the oil has the truck still on record?? And switch to one viscosity higher and see how that goes.

highlandlake
04-21-2006, 06:54 PM
What was your oil/filter change interval before you had to do all the work? Just can't see these engines clogging THAT easily with any good oil at 3k intervals.

I am assuming that your the original owner...??

What oil/filter are you using now? Highlandlake

RF,
I am the third owner, and know the second owner through a co-worker. It was maintained physically, but not mechanically by her. My guess is that the first owner was the same way. Through their neglect I got a real good vehicle for dirt cheap. She tried to trade it in but it sounded like a diesel and they wouldn't take it. She bought a new car and this sat in her yard for four months. She didn't want it in the way of the snowplow again and sold it to me. I did the top end rebuild over two months time. Total cost for vehicle and parts was under $4,500 three years ago. Mileage was 72,000.
I'm using an Isuzu filter and Mobil-1 0W30 right now. Seems to like that.
Runs like a champ between $47 gas fill-ups!!!!:iceslolan

Chromedubs165db
04-25-2006, 08:30 AM
I know with mine it made the same noise, they all have hydrolic lifters and the tend to get loud, it won't typicaly affect the performance but will make an anoying noise. The only way to fix this properly is to remove the bad lifter (or all of them) and clean it (them) up and re install.

motocip
04-26-2006, 07:59 PM
My 1997 developed a tick that sounded like a rocker. I put a quart of trans fluid in with the oil and drove for about 60 miles, changed the oil and the problem is gone. I did notice the problem developed after I tried an extended oil change with Ames synthetic oil. When oil started looking dirty is when the problem occured. 102,000 miles so far. Need to do timing belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets, and a minor coolant leak.

hshawn31
04-27-2006, 08:29 PM
I have a 1995 3.2L 4x4 i bought it used and didnt really notice the ricking noise until i got on here and saw others had problems and sure enough mine ticked too. I did some looking and from what i have found they do make ticking noises on their own. The vehicle was a lease vehicle for a local rent a car company so i know it was taken care of. Now my problem is the ticking is really loud. I did change the oil last week and i am usinf a fram oil filter......i was using the high mileage oil filter and the ticking wasnt as loud but still annoying. I put on a tough guard fram filter and the tick is REALL loud now. My next oil change will have a differant filter to see if that does it. My sound seems to come from the passenger side engine area. I have also heard that spark plugs that aren't shooting the gap right can make this ticking noise. I'll keep ya posted when i change the oil next.

surferfletch
04-27-2006, 08:55 PM
My 3.2L will only tick at startup if 1) the oil level has gotten a little low or 2) if it's in need of an oil change. If I keep on top of the level and change the oil every 3K I get no ticking. To the original poster: have you checked the oil level? First comes the tick, then comes bottom end damage that'll finish your engine. You have a 3.1L V6?

Ramblin Fever
04-29-2006, 12:51 AM
My 3.2L will only tick at startup if 1) the oil level has gotten a little low or 2) if it's in need of an oil change. If I keep on top of the level and change the oil every 3K I get no ticking. To the original poster: have you checked the oil level? First comes the tick, then comes bottom end damage that'll finish your engine. You have a 3.1L V6?

Nah, the 91-92's had the 3.1L V6 Chevy. The 93's + have the Isuzu 3.2L's.

But, for what it's worth, my '91 3.1L V6 was a talker too.

Rmasters3
05-03-2006, 04:38 AM
5-30 oil with a quart of Rislone cured my ticking after many other oil-filter combination attempts.

Add your comment to this topic!