Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

steering noise

integragsrs
04-19-2006, 07:54 PM
i have an 02 rendezvous and recently when i do a u turn i hear a noise almost if not exactly like the power steering is low on fluid, i topped it off and it still does the same thing. any ideas on what the problem might be?

Chriskapher
05-09-2006, 08:46 AM
I don't know what the problem is, but I have the same noise when turning on my 2002.

Cor1580
06-25-2006, 12:20 PM
05 does the same thing the wine?

umina
06-25-2006, 02:27 PM
If its more like a moaning sound, it could be a wheel bearing. Both the aztek and the rendezvous are notorious for wheel bearing failure, usually at or before 30K miles. When lateral force is applied to the bearing, they will make alot of noise, you may also notice increased road noise when they go out. I've got one gone bad on the front of my 03, and it makes all sorts of noise when loading the bearing in a turn. Just something you may want to have looked at. The only way to tell if the bearing is bad is to put a dial indicator on the axle and measure for play. You cannot check for play by hand on these sealed units, dealer is you best bet to check on this one.

rodeo02
07-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Yep. One side went out at just over 36Kmi on our 2003, other side went just before 60K. If you cant replace the bearing hub assembly yourself. DONT go to a dealer! They will typically charge ~$400+ per side, where most reputable independant shops will charge half of that.

Joel

keith455
09-09-2006, 03:40 AM
I have an 04 with about 40k on it and it's doing the same thing. Glad a bought a new car so i woudn't have troubles

Flatrater
09-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Do you have the AWD or FWD version? On the AWD version if you don't rotate the tires often your rear diff will burn up. Try this mark all 4 tires with a crayon at the 6 oclock position and drive 10 revolutions. Afer the 10 check to see if each crayon mark is within 1 inch. If not them your tires circumfrence is your problem which caused your rear diff to burn out.

Another thing to do is unplug the rear diff connector and drive the car in tight turns to see if the noise goes away. You should be able to tell if the nosie is from the front or the rear.

Chriskapher
09-13-2006, 12:37 PM
For those who had the bearing replaced after the moaning, did the AWD disabled light come on?

drummersdad
09-26-2006, 01:37 PM
flatrater is correct. my awd 2002 had the same noise and the dealer had to change out the rear diff fluid and clean it all up. they tried to blame it on someone else putting in the wrong fluid. I had put new tires on the car with what they called 'aggressive' tread. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!