Quadratrac II without front driveshaft...

quadtracpain
04-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I have a '99 JGCLtd with the 247 TC and a type 3 front driveshaft. The front driveshaft has a joint at the back of it that has gone bad. Can I just remove the shaft and continue to drive without it in place? If not, why and what could happen? I don't really have $500 to replace it right now but I'm tired of hearing grinding and crunching while I drive down the road... :uhoh:
Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Jim

neon_rt
04-19-2006, 11:57 AM
The transfer case functions as a center differential with a clutch that provides a "limited slip" to the center differential. If you disconnect the front driveline, there will be no load on the front side and I would think that would destroy the viscous coupler (limited slip device) within a few miles of driving (if you even get that far). If you had "Command Trak" then you could remove the front driveline without any problem.

quadtracpain
04-19-2006, 12:05 PM
This 247 has a gerotor coupler where in the older Quadra Tracs there was the viscous coupler. I'm not a professional mechanic but I think these are different. I have searched the forums here and other places and found only one place where they addressed removal of the front driveshaft and said that from '96 on up it is ok. I just want to get a more direct opinion because if I don't have the $500 now, I certainly won't be looking forward to an additional $1500 for a TC rebuild because that would be investing about a third of the actual value of this vehicle. Yes I am a cheap a__!
Thanks again for your reply!
Jim

dksob81
04-19-2006, 04:27 PM
the VC and the Gerotor Clutch Pump are different, I am not positve on the QT-II system but if it is like the Quadra-Drive system where it also uses fuctions from the Wheel Speed Sensor (ABS) to monitor wheel speed and load to control the wheel drive function, then removing the driveshaft should not harm anything.

quadtracpain
04-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks...that's the answer I wanted to hear! Now if I have the Quadra-Trac II can I just buy some Vari-Loc axles or front and rear diffs from a Quadra-Drive system and swap them out with my stock ones and have a Quadra-Drive in mine? Just curious if they need any serious modifications or computer equipment to operate or if they can just be swapped and be ready to go?
Thanks again for your help,
Jim

Add your comment to this topic!