Water Pump?

DrededSS
04-18-2006, 11:55 AM
I have a '96 Avenger ES. It's acting a little weird with regards to cooling. Over the past 2 months it would randomly try to heat up above normal. The fans would kick on and it would stay at an acceptable level. Yesterday was the first super-hot day of the year. While cruising at 70 mpg with the a/c on, the car heated up (not overheated). It normally stays a little under halfway on the gauge, but when heated it's at about 3/4. If I kill the a/c and turn on the heat it comes back down. After that, I turned it back to a/c and went another 5 miles or so, then exited to sit at a light. It didn't heat up back to the 3/4, but instead to about halfway.

The oil is fine, the radiator is full. I was going to swap out the t-stat (looks easy on this car), and add a toggle switch for the fans to see if that helps.

How hard is it to change the water pump and is there anything else I should look for?

Dred

Addix
04-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Well... i wouldn't go straight to the pump first, i'd try on checking/replacing the t-stat. And then after that if you haven't replaced the radiator fluid for however long, go ahead with that it won't hurt to do that. After that you're on your own, i've never messed with a water pump on a venge. But a toggle switch for your fans shouldn't be neccessary.

I'd just say check the t-stat, and then go to the radiator... after that, you're on your own. I might go and try to look up on it for you. Sorry I can't help to much more.

If you want, e-mail me with results and what not... always willing to talk.

94StealthTT
04-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Stock gauges are not very accurate but for you coolant temp. gauge to move like that it sounds like it could be heating up. The A/C draws power from the engine and on a hot day will make the engine heat up more, this is normal. As long as it is not getting up around the overheating mark you should be fine. It would be a good idea to backflush your coolant out and maybe even try that chemical flush too. Test the thermostat or replace and leave the fans alone they are doing there job just fine and you dont want to screw them up or you will definitly have an overheating problem.

Add your comment to this topic!