Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

funny idle

quicksand
04-17-2006, 11:09 PM
i took off the throttle assembly which has the idle speed control valve and tps i cleaned it very good sprayed carb cleaner through the bottom of the isc where the air usually come through. the car runs smooth when pressing gas and better acceration but the idle is crazy now. i dont know if i did something wrong or maybe the idle spped control was already bad. was i not suppose to clean it like that?

Soilent Green
04-18-2006, 06:25 PM
What do you mean crazy?

It might just be a bad Throttle Position Sensor or that some crap dripped back down your IAC hole upon reinstall.

I say give it a good spray down that hole again, but with the engine idling this time, and use the TB pulley to keep the car from stalling. Maybe it's just that, or not, but you'll be sure.

My first TB cleaning ended up not changing much because it was SO filthy not even half the job was properly done so I repeated idle treatments every weekend until most of my problems were gone. Except the shaky RPM needle at idle that I'll need to have a look into next.

quicksand
04-18-2006, 10:33 PM
im getting a code 51 Switch Condition Signal. im not sure what that means though thanks

Soilent Green
04-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Google that code, including the zeros if there was any.

Like right now my CEL is on with code P0446

Google the exact code and come back here with the results. What year is your car I have a Haynes for 97-01 camry.

RIP
04-21-2006, 09:25 PM
In a 92-96 Haynes manual it says the A/C switch/amplifier circuit, neutral start switch, THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, and ECM are the likely trouble areas for code 51. You know where to start.

Add your comment to this topic!