Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Camry cracked coolant reservoir

tdm1971
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I just noticed a small crack in the top of my coolant reservoir next to where the clamp that hold it in place is located. The crack is small maybe about half the size of a dime.

I put some duck tape over it for now. How will this affect the cooling system and what damage could be caused if I waited to get this fixed? Also, the best price I have found for a coolant reservoir is $115 (4 cylinder). Does this price seem high?

Any help, suggestions, are appreciated.

RIP
04-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Yes. Get a used one from these guys :http://www.taprecycling.com/ It's a huge Toyota parts recycler in California. I wouldn't put a big priority on it but, you should change it.

tdm1971
04-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Thank you for the reply. My main concern would be air or dirt getting into system or further deterioration of reservoir causing particles to fall into the radiator. I will check the site and see if I can't order one to be shipped to Maryland. I noticed the crack yesterday. Any idea of how many miles, or days I can hold out with very light driving?

JOET/CAMRY
04-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Hello TDM1971,

You could just put an epoxy patch over the crack on your coolant overflow container to patch it up and to prevent the crack from spreading. Cover the area of the crack and feather out the epoxy around the edges of the patch. You can use a piece of screen over the crack if it's too big or just for added strength. it's alot cheaper than spending $115.00 on a new reservoir.

I bought an epoxy at a plumbing store years ago called A + B fast epoxy paste (5 minute bonding action) used for industrial use. I patched a hole in a gas tank and fixed a blown head gasket on my old 1983 Nissan pickup. :lol: .. The engine was pissing out coolant (around head gasket) when I shut it off so I cleaned the area where the leak was with degreaser and patched the hole with the epoxy. the patch held up for over a year. :) It's some good stuff. I know that it was a half ass repair but it did the job. the truck wasn't worth replacing the head gasket. It had a rotted frame.:disappoin :2cents: Take care.

Regards,

JOET/CAMRY

tdm1971
04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Joe:

Thanks for the advice. I have duct tape on it now. I'll check out the epoxy, never thought about that. Looking for something from a salvage place as that will be my best bet in the long run.

JOET/CAMRY
04-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Joe:

Thanks for the advice. I have duct tape on it now. I'll check out the epoxy, never thought about that. Looking for something from a salvage place as that will be my best bet in the long run.

Your welcome.:) Good luck.

JOET/CAMRY

GSS123
04-18-2006, 08:07 AM
I've had good luck fixing coolant reservoirs with JB Weld epoxy that you can buy at automotive stores or Wally world.

lenjack
04-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I've seen new ones on Ebay for $40.

AccordCodger
04-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I have duct tape on it now.
That really won't do any good at all. As soon as the motor warms up, the pressure in the cooling system will more than defeat a little duct tape.

xiong
05-05-2006, 09:33 AM
sorry
:smokin:

xiong
05-05-2006, 09:36 AM
sorry

lenjack
05-05-2006, 05:35 PM
there is no pressure in the coolant reservoir.

AccordCodger
05-05-2006, 07:32 PM
there is no pressure in the coolant reservoir.
True - my error.

tdm1971 - get one from a junkyard. My guess is around 5 bucks.

Add your comment to this topic!