Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1984 Dodge Power Ram 4x4...when I try to turn headlights on motor dies

Wicca_Woman
04-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Ok, here's my strange problem. My Dad has a 1984 Dodge Power Ram 4x4. After weeks
of people trying to get it to started, I finally was able to do it by totally stomping the gas pedal like a mad woman......now the problem is, there are no lights..no headlights, inside lights, tail lights... nothing...
Also, when it's running and I try to turn on the headlights (just to see if they will come on)
it instantly kills the motor.....HELP !.....:frown:

wirenutt1969
04-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Is it an electric fuel pump? There could be a short in the electrical system that kills it.

Wicca_Woman
04-17-2006, 07:22 AM
I'll have to check and see. One thing too, the lights will not come on even when it's just
sitting there. Like when you pull the light knob, nothing.......no dome light when you open the door or anything.

fredjacksonsan
04-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Check the fuses also, and if it's been sitting the light switch could be corroded. You'll probably see all kinds of funny things on a 22 year old vehicle.

alex boss
04-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Ok, here's my strange problem. My Dad has a 1984 Dodge Power Ram 4x4. After weeks
of people trying to get it to started, I finally was able to do it by totally stomping the gas pedal like a mad woman......now the problem is, there are no lights..no headlights, inside lights, tail lights... nothing...
Also, when it's running and I try to turn on the headlights (just to see if they will come on)
it instantly kills the motor.....HELP !.....:frown:

Kinda sounds like the ground cable from the battery is causing the prob. From what I read, you can get the engine to crank over and start, it just won't stay started when a demand for electricity competes. since they are fairly cheap, I think replace both cables to the battery.Also- could be just bad battery.....just substitute one from another vehicle, see what happens. If it has been sitting for a long while, you will need to deal with fuel delivery probs, too. One thing at a time. HTH

Add your comment to this topic!