strange power window/mirror problem

clampjockey
04-15-2006, 06:01 PM
I have a 96 integra rs, stock, the other day my power windows and mirrors stopped working. During the same trip that day they started working again, the next day, while driving, they quit again, this time with my drivers window half down, and i haven't got them to work since. I've checked the fuses and they seem fine, I've checked the ground from the tranny to the body, it seems tight and not green or anything, then I removed the door skin and started checking the connections. There seems to be power at all the window and mirror buttons, and when I put the test light to the ground I can get the mirrors to work but not the windows. This has me stumped, I'm hoping someone else had problems like this and can point me in the right direction. I also notice that the fasten seat belt light doesn't seem to work either since this problem occured, if that helps any. I'm not worried about the seatbelt light or power mirrors, but wouldn't mind being able to use my windows or at least get it back up. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

superbluecivicsi
04-15-2006, 09:49 PM
short somewhere? voltage meter reads? id say, a helms with some diagrams would be nice right now. a haynes diagram is pretty well suited to find shorts also ;)

clampjockey
04-16-2006, 09:09 AM
where would the relay be located for the windows? since i have power at both the motors and they quit at the same time (so i'm lead to believe that it's not motor failure) there must be a relay that's faulty. does this sound right?

superbluecivicsi
04-16-2006, 11:43 AM
go get a haynes or helms for the diagrams ;)

DESMONE
04-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I had the same problem with my window getting stuck due to a dirty contact in the switch itself. If the window will go down but not up I'm sure that's the problem. Another symptom of this was that if I would click the switch over and over the window would go up a tiny bit at a time. I later realized that if I held the switch part-way in the up position the window worked fine. I took apart the switch & cleaned the contacts, it's worked perfectly since.

DESMONE
04-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Ok, I reread your original post & now realize my reply dosen't may any sense. But I did have a similar problem due to a fault in my IGNITION switch.

clampjockey
04-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Well, i got them working, but I didn't really fix anything. I run a jumper wire from the ground on the switch to the door itself, essentially making a ground. Now, I realize that's not the proper way to fix anything, but it works for now and that was my main concern. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty relay that's causing my problems, but i can't find where it's located. Now before i get re-told again to buy a haynes manual, I know that the manuals will give me wiring schematics, but they don't tell you where it's located. That being said, I can only assume that the relay runs off of the ground somehow, as I have constant power at the motors when the key is on, and by using the switch (when there aren't any breaks in the connection), you are making a complete ground, and when the switches aren't being used the power isn't grounded. I don't know if that makes any sense the way I'm describing it, but that's as close as i can get to explaining it. So to make a long story short, I still wouldn't mind knowing where the relay, is if any who reads this knows, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

Add your comment to this topic!