Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

`99 Accord drum brakes

capricorn
04-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know how much brake material is on the shoes for the rear brakes on the `99 Accord? I have taken it into the dealer once and was told I only had about 30% left on them (that was 3 years ago). I took it in to another dealership and the dealer told me I had over 75% material left. I smell something fishy as I asked the first dealership to adjust my handbrake cable as I had to really tug up the handbrake fairly high before the handbrake engages. I told them to replace them and they did so grudgingly. I checked the brakes afterwards when they gave them back to me and it looked like it had about 1/8 of an inch of material before hitting the shoe. I'm not sure how far to wear the brakes down before replacing them but wearing them down past 1/8 of an inch does not sound right to me at all. Thanks in advance for any input.

jeffcoslacker
04-14-2006, 03:00 PM
For state inspection purposes (here) riveted shoes and pads are considered worn out at 5/32" , and bonded pads and shoes at 1/32".

Glen_T
04-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Per the Honda shop manual for 1998-2000 Accord, the rear shoes have a new brake lining thickness of 4.5mm (0.180"), and a service limit of 2.0mm (0.080").....

capricorn
04-14-2006, 04:27 PM
4.5mm? That's it? Going by the shop manual, I guess I did have some life left to the brakes after all. Its just suprising to me that you can wear it down that far. I wonder how many miles the brakes are good for under typical city driving conditions. Either way, with the new brakes in, the brakes responded much better than the old shoes. Thanks for the responses guys.

Glen_T
04-14-2006, 07:01 PM
It's been my experience over the years that the rears last about 2 to 2 1/2 times the fronts....and yes, 4mm does seem thin to me, too! Glen

Add your comment to this topic!