Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Bravada runs like crap

vicsvenge1997
04-12-2006, 06:27 PM
My dad recently purchased a 2003 Olds Bravada with under 50k on it. Still has the gm warrenty and all that. Well when he bought it he was pretty pumped about it so of course... you only see what you want to. Well now he notices this annoying rattling, light ticking noise when the truck is accelerating. On top of that the thing runs like it's dying. There's a constant surging with the motor and a huge lack of power. It's not smooth at all. It almost feels like it's not getting enough fuel.

He's taken it to just about every shop in town (except the one I recommended... because I'm only 19 I don't know what I'm talking about :banghead:). It's been scanned and inspected and nothing shows up. All of the gm techs he talks to tell him that basically he's SOL. Gm thought that it would be a splendid idea to run the motor as lean as possible to get the best mileage out of it.

So I guess I was just hoping for some tips to solving this problem. He's been saying it's spark plugs for the longest time yet he won't pay to replace them unless he knows that's what it is. I suggested taking it to an aftermarket shop and having them add an aftermarket fuel/air ratio controller. Any ideas? Someone... please...

Chris Stewart
04-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Sorry about your problem Bravada. I looked around and found some action at the Trailblazer section and would recommend the GMC Envoy section too because they both run the same motor. One post described checking with a Buick dealership...the Rainier uses the 4200 Vortec too.
Here's the Trailblazer shortcut.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Add your comment to this topic!