Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 PI fuel gauge

BostonKev
04-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi all, recent auction car I purchased has a giant white sticker in the windows stating the fuel gauge is inaccurate and to use the trip for refueling. Since I bought it a week ago, I changed the alternator, battery and checked all the fuses. Any suggestions on the next thing to check/replace would be appreciated.

way2old
04-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Unplug the sensor wires from the fuel pump connection and ground the sender wire. If gauge moves empty to full, or full to empty, the sending unit in tank is the problem.

BostonKev
04-13-2006, 09:19 PM
does the key need to be in the on position? An if the needle does not move is it likely the gauge itself?

way2old
04-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Correct on both counts.

BostonKev
04-27-2006, 09:52 PM
I have determined it is the sending unit. It's stuck on full. Does the tank need to be dropped or can it be checked or replaced through the driver side wheel well? How much is this thing normally, is it dealer only and is it better to grab one at a bone yard? thank you for all your help.

way2old
04-28-2006, 06:35 AM
If you get it from a salvage yard, you don't really know how long it will last. Other parts houses sell them besides the dealer. You can get the assembly out without dropping the tank. Support the rear of car on jackstands and the fuel pump is in the front center of the tank. Disconnect the lines and wires. Use a piece of netal that does not produce a spark to loosen the lock ring. If you do not have a brass punch, make sure what ever you use stays in contact with the ring while you are loosening it. Not too bad of a job. Then the sending unit unbolts from the fuel pump module.

BostonKev
05-18-2006, 09:48 PM
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to say that this sending unit was a pretty easy fix and most importantly is that the aftermarket part houses only sell the the pump and sending unit combo (in the $140 - $200 range) but the dealer actually sells just the sending unit itself for about $50. A rare occasion that the dealer is actually a money saver.

way2old
05-19-2006, 02:39 PM
thanks for the closing post. Appreciate the time you take to inform the forums of repairs.

Add your comment to this topic!