Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking to buy a RAM, need info please!!

joe92k1500
04-11-2006, 07:45 PM
I have a very rusted out 92 chevy 1500 with 185kmi that I dont want to put any more $ into. So i'm thinking about getting a used 94 -97 ram in the next few months and was wondering about their overall reliability, any common problems, etc. I'm looking to get a 4x4 v-8 auto or manual. Thanks in advance :biggrin:

crazys182003
04-12-2006, 05:19 AM
one common problem with the autos is the trannys tend to crap out pretty early. some will last but some will crap out around 60K. If your looking to tow things or to haul a lot I suggest not to get a 1500 model. go with a 2500 or even a 3500 depedning how much you wanna haul. a common problem that many people have been looking at is the plenum gasket. you can tell if its bad by looking down the throttle body with a small flashlight while on top of the radiator support. If there is oil down there then it is leaking and needs replaced. The manuals are nice but can't tow as much as an auto. But if you just need a daily driver and an ocasional haul or two then the manuals are pretty decent. The trannys in them are almost bullett proff as I have heard people say. The reason they can't tow as much is due to the clutch. They can't handle extra loads too well in a 1500 model. But if you were to get a 2500 model they are better and will last longer.

joe92k1500
04-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info. Basically, this truck will be used as a 3rd car in winter and for use around the house for the occasional trip to the dump, home depot, furniture move etc. Nothing extreme, so I think the 1500 should be OK. The ones I've been looking at have anywhere from 90-130kmi. I'll keep a close look at the tranny when I test drive one. Keep the info comming guys.

john m
04-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Hi, I have a 97 Ram 1500 360cid. I have had it for 1 1/2 yrs and only 1 major prob so far. I had to change out the fuel pump/ filter assy last month(109kmiles) Pretty solid truck other than that. Good luck. John M.

edbrycem
04-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi, I have a 97 Ram 1500 360cid. I have had it for 1 1/2 yrs and only 1 major prob so far. I had to change out the fuel pump/ filter assy last month(109kmiles) Pretty solid truck other than that. Good luck. John M.I have a 1998 4x4 qdcab w/ a 360 and its ok. It has 10500 on it i bought it w/ 104000, so obviously its new to me still. I sold a 1990 chevy 4x4 for this truck and I have already put more into this dodge then i did for my chevy that i had for 3 yrs.165000 mi. Had to have the rear pinion bearing replaced already and i dont tow. IMO dodge is a shady truck that looks good but the picky maint. to do to it is far more then any of my chevys i owned, Dodge trannys are suppose to have the bands adjusted every 24000 mi. in which i think is stupid. The trannys are to damn picky. If you tow stuff you will probably burn up a pinion bearing, and you have to run full synthetic in rearend. granite its a 1500, BUT jump in any 1500 model of chevy (never had experience w/ ford) and you dont have to be nearly as picky as dodge. thats just the biger stuff not including the heater core for when it does go out cuz it probably will, seems to be quite commn and dont understand why. Doing it yourself aint the wose but to take it in, ouch!!! If you have the extra money to buy a chevy, then do that, cuz you'll ended making up the difference puting it into the dodge. THis is only MY opinion. Do get other opinions though Maybe I just had good luck w/ all three of my chevys. Good luck though

crazys182003
04-12-2006, 06:58 PM
I have a 1998 4x4 qdcab w/ a 360 and its ok. It has 10500 on it i bought it w/ 104000, so obviously its new to me still. I sold a 1990 chevy 4x4 for this truck and I have already put more into this dodge then i did for my chevy that i had for 3 yrs.165000 mi. Had to have the rear pinion bearing replaced already and i dont tow. IMO dodge is a shady truck that looks good but the picky maint. to do to it is far more then any of my chevys i owned, Dodge trannys are suppose to have the bands adjusted every 24000 mi. in which i think is stupid. The trannys are to damn picky. If you tow stuff you will probably burn up a pinion bearing, and you have to run full synthetic in rearend. granite its a 1500, BUT jump in any 1500 model of chevy (never had experience w/ ford) and you dont have to be nearly as picky as dodge. thats just the biger stuff not including the heater core for when it does go out cuz it probably will, seems to be quite commn and dont understand why. Doing it yourself aint the wose but to take it in, ouch!!! If you have the extra money to buy a chevy, then do that, cuz you'll ended making up the difference puting it into the dodge. THis is only MY opinion. Do get other opinions though Maybe I just had good luck w/ all three of my chevys. Good luck though

I personally had bad luck with a chevy. Granted it wasn't a truck but it was a blazer so it shoulda been built similar to a truck. I ended up having that thing for 2 years and put over 5 grand of repairs in it......I bought my ram last may and so far have done nothing but maintenace and a belt. I did put more money into my ram than necessary like a mirror that I broke, a winch, toolbox, and other small things but I have had much betetr luck with my ram than I ahd with a chevy. Heater cores are a prbolem in almsot every vehicle. every one so far except my ram yet I have had to replace the heater core. now in ym blazer that also then blew my rad, then water pump then AC and basicvally had the entire coolant system redone....

edbrycem
04-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Hopefully the dodge will take care of melike my chevy. Maybe i had just a bad start w/ it. I'll keep it for awhile though and see where it goes. I was just shocked to hear having to adjust the bans in the tranny. when i looked up the specs. on it, go figure it listed 94-97, and 99+. What happend to 98.(thats what i have). Maybe.....they put a bulletproof tranny in, in 98? I d/k I hears mixed reviews for 98 that they did them better but then i hear they are no different. oh well, only time will tell.

Add your comment to this topic!