Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

MAD electrical problems, all at once!

Aoshi1
08-13-2001, 10:12 PM
So Im moving my stuff from an apartment to my new home...I start up my P10, and my radio has deleted all my channells. Thats not all....The power locks wont work, the power seat belts dont go down when I turn the car off, my door ajar light is ALWAYS on...All of this in one swoop....Ive checked some relays but cant tell if they are bad. Any tips? Has this happenned to any of you guys? Man, Im screwed. Its nt like its major stuff, but all the little minute things add up, and its a pain in the ass...ANY help is appreciated.

T4 Primera
08-14-2001, 10:26 AM
Just been looking through the Haynes manual electrical diagrams trying to track it down. Not sure if the Haynes wiring drawings are relevent but you gotta start somewhere, eh. Need more info though

Do you have electric windows and are they working?
Do you have an electric sunroof and is it working?
Check your interior light is working, when you switch it "ON" does the door ajar lamp go out?

My initial hunch is that your interior light has shorted out and caused a few other things to happen but they may not all be related.

I assume you've checked all the fuses in the fuse box in the car and the fuses and fusible links in the engine bay beside the battery??

Aoshi1
08-14-2001, 08:20 PM
Ok, here goes:

I DO have power windows, and they DO work
I DO have a power suroff, and it works too
I turned my interior light off...maybe thats it. But i dont know if itll make the light go off...Ill try and get back to you on it. I need one of them books, too!
I checked the fuses, and they are good...but those huge blue relays, I dont now how to tell if they are bad. Or are they fuses too? The ones under the hood? Also, here are four of these things inside the fuse box on the interior, you just cant get to them? What are those for? They arent listed in the manual or on the fuse box map....

Thanks for your help, I will get back to you in a bit....

Aoshi1
08-14-2001, 11:24 PM
Crazy! I checked my interior light, right, and now it doesnt work at all! It didwhen I turned t off, but now, nothing...ent ahead and cleaned my battery terminals, and now the dooajar light stays off, but the radio still resets itself, the power seatbelts wont go down, and now my interior light wont come on.......this is freakin nuts...

T4 Primera
08-15-2001, 07:04 AM
OK, first we'll get rid of the red herring, noticed you posted this under "P10 Central Locking".
I dont have the problem with it auto locking...but my power locks work %0% of the time. Is it s fuse?
So I assume that problem already existed and is unrelated. You may want to go back to this thread for your door lock problem.

Remember this info comes from the Haynes manual which was based on UK/Euro Primeras so what follows may end up being a wild goose chase, but I'll continue since no-one else has volunteered anything yet.

1. The wiring diagrams show that the electric aerial motor, clock, radio/cassette and interior lighting (which links into the door ajar warning lamp through the door switch setup) share a common supply from a 10 amp fuse in the fuse box. You may be able to check if this info matches up with this description given on the fusebox cover, if it matches then......................

2. This fuse is in turn fed from ignition switch relay 1 which must be ok otherwise you will have lost stop lights, rear window demister, driving lights , horn and hazard lights as well (you haven't have you??)

3. Therefore.........You say the fuses are all ok? I guess maybe the fault is not enough to blow the fuse. Have a look around the areas mentioned in 1. above (especially the courtesy light) for a short in the wiring or loose terminals etc. Maybe do some tests with a meter if you have one.

4. Can't help you at all with the power seatbelts since they don't seem to have them anywhere but in North America and nothing in the Haynes manual about them. This may end up being part of the power locks solution.

If you don't have any luck fixing your electrical problems soon, IMHO, you should take it to the stealership and get it sorted in case you end up frying some control units or have an electrical fire.

Whatever happens please post the results so we can all benefit from your experience. Good luck!!!

T4 Primera
08-15-2001, 07:19 AM
I checked the fuses, and they are good...but those huge blue relays, I dont now how to tell if they are bad. Or are they fuses too?
Forgot to mention, in the fuse box by the battery are fuses and "fusible links" - which look a little like relays but are really just humungous fuses. You can identify them by the transparent cap on them through which you should be able to see the metallic fusible link that blows just like a normal fuse.
Relays can be tricky to test since they don't all work the same way. Some have a little wiring diagram imprinted on them - in this case someone with a little electrical knowledge should be able to work out how to test each one.
The ones under the hood?
Yeah, they'll be in black boxes with covers that unclip - the large one in front of the RHS strut tower will contain relays - the smaller one next to the battery and mounted on the fender (beside where the inlet to the airbox runs past) contains the fuses and fusible links. Don't think your problem is in there but it's good to have a look anyway.:)

Aoshi1
08-16-2001, 01:16 AM
T4...dude, I REALLY appreciate you taking your time to help me on this. Im going to go through everything you listed, the ll give you a heads up, ne? Again , thanks a bunch....

Aoshi1
08-20-2001, 12:31 AM
Well...when I checked the #10 fuse for the "room light" again, it was blown....So, I replaced it, and BLAMMO!!! Everything is in tip top shape! Even my security system is working again.......

Domo-Arigato for the help, T4...saved me from the Stealership.....

T4 Primera
08-20-2001, 03:58 AM
Everything is in tip top shape!

Everything?? Power seatbelts?? Door locks??

I'm not really sure what went wrong in the first place :confused: but good to hear things are ok now.:D :D

Maybe if you had your car crammed with stuff when moving apartment, you might have pushed some wires/contacts together somewhere under the carpet or roof lining. Seems ok now though, eh.

Happy motoring:sun:

alipoo
04-25-2004, 03:01 PM
I realize this thread is YEARS old, but just wanted to add, that the same thing happened to our 93 G20.......EXACTLY......but add in the ABS system dash light and ABS running even when the car was off (this drains the battery by the way). Relaced the Dome Light fuse and everything is a good as new! It wouldn't have been so easy had it not been this thread!

THX!

~Stacey

Add your comment to this topic!