Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4 point harnesses!?

apostrophe28
04-10-2006, 11:21 PM
So yesterday I was doing some 'spirited' :naughty: driving on the back mountain roads of my town and i realized how flimsy the stock seatbelts really are, on any sharp turn if the door opens...your gone! I also noticed that while going any direction really I was sliding in my seat..left, right, foward, back, everywhere!

So heres my issue:
-Would i benifit from using a 4 point harness?
-If I put one in should i change the passenger side over to a 4 point aswell?
-What are some safe anchor points?
-Are 4 point harness very uncomfortable on long trips?

barkercustoms
04-11-2006, 08:17 AM
I would do that passenger side as well so it looks the same, on the other hand as being uncomfortable, i would get a set of race seats that fit to you so you dont slide so much and that the bealts will have a place to come thro the seat. As far as a place to mount i dont know i have a z31 and been trying to figure it out. I would check for a harness bar that goes right behind the seats you know across the car and then the bottom will bolt into the factory mounts!

apostrophe28
04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
more questions:
which harnesses are street legal?
what does DOT approved mean?
do i have to use a brace bar in the rear?
do i have to buy new seats?
does anyone else have harnesses?

barkercustoms
04-11-2006, 10:49 PM
the harnesses that say DOT approved are street legal (department of transpertation). By brace bar do you mean from the side pillar to the other piller would be a good idea, buying race seat with the slots in them is a good idea keeps the belts from falling behind the seat, you dont have to tho, i dont have harnesses yet i have a z31 and have to make a custom bar.

1viadrft
04-11-2006, 10:56 PM
These should be installed by a professional familiar with installing harnesses... great bodily harm can happen if installed incorrectly and your car may not pass tech if you ever take her to the track...

Also they are very uncomfortable for everyday use and as mentioned they also have to be DOT approved... I have a Three point harness for use on the track but I have reatined use of my stock seat belt system.

SilentNIght1647
04-16-2006, 03:57 PM
If you think you slide around too much then a harness is the way to go. If it was me I would go with a camlock setup as they are easier to use and look cooler, also remember you don't have to use all the belts, my Dad only has lap belts in his Nova even though he has the rest of the setup for the car. I would also reccomend racing seats as they have the holes in them for a harness set-up you can pick up some really nice looking from Jegs for about $200 a piece or you can get the cheapy plastic ones for aout $80 with a cover. As for the rating SFI is the rating used for race cars while DOT is the one used for street cars so either approval rating will be fine as most belts aren't DOT apporved because they are produced for dirt track cars and what not.

turboflatfour300
04-20-2006, 07:57 AM
i have 4 point belts in my '90 300zx with corbeau seats. the belts are really confortable and they keep you in one place. i made the mistake of buying 5 point belts(groin belt) and theyre uncomfortable. i brought them back. but if you wanna get new belts listen to everyone else. they need to be certefied and get them from a good comp.(sparco, recaro, toucan, corbeau....etc.)

k3smostwanted
04-20-2006, 10:21 PM
i have 4 point belts in my '90 300zx with corbeau seats. the belts are really confortable and they keep you in one place. i made the mistake of buying 5 point belts(groin belt) and theyre uncomfortable. i brought them back. but if you wanna get new belts listen to everyone else. they need to be certefied and get them from a good comp.(sparco, recaro, toucan, corbeau....etc.)

what corbeau seats did you buy? i am thinking of getting the Legacy series and was hoping you chose the same so you could tell me of your experience. :D

thanks in advance.

turboflatfour300
04-21-2006, 07:47 AM
what corbeau seats did you buy? i am thinking of getting the Legacy series and was hoping you chose the same so you could tell me of your experience. :D

thanks in advance.

exactly

buy them theyre godly

Add your comment to this topic!