99 Keyless Remote / Trunk Release problems

pinkflydxx
04-09-2006, 04:57 PM
99 Avalon XLS, 6 cyl, 135k miles

I am having trouble with the Keyless Remote and Trunk Release. I noticed for several weeks, the remote has more difficulty in unlocking doors and opening trunk. Replaced battery, but did not really improve. Today I noticed that the push button trunk release inside the glove compartment will now not open the trunk as well. Not sure it the two problems are interrelated, but would like to know if problems are mechanical, electrical, or radio control related. Is it possible that the remote "receiver" could be going bad, need repair or replacment? Any advise appreciated

Onblsht
04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
You can try to open the remote, and clean the contacts on the circuit board with an old toothbrush. That should fix it if its a remote problem.

KimMG
04-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Clean and lubricate all the linkage going to all the locks. Make sure everything moves freely and nothing is hanging up. Test the actuator for the trunk to see if it is getting power. Make sure the latching mechanism is clean and lubricated so the actuator can move it easily.

pinkflydxx
04-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks for everyone's responses. It seems that a couple of things were going on here. First, not only was the trunk release not working, the dome light, the in-dash clock, and maybe even a couple of other things were not functioning. Therefore, I checked the fuses, and viola, the fuse identified for the dome light was blown. I changed it and all the items, including the glove compartment trunk release were working properly. I didn't realize that so many seemingly unrelated items were part of this fuse's circuit. (I also didn't realize this car had so many fuse box locations).

Secondly, I took the remote unit apart and cleaned it with some electrical cleaner, and it now appears to be working better than it has in a long time. Thanks again everyone.

micali
02-05-2007, 06:28 PM
What is the fcc number for your 99?

timothygbaker
07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
i have a 2001 Avalon XLS with a remote trunk release - all works fine. My problem is that the inside trunk release switch does not work at all - but everything else electrical is fine. I am looking for some way to test it before tearing into the dash to replace the switch

Add your comment to this topic!