Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Bravada - 1st to 2nd gear problems

bravadablues
04-09-2006, 11:13 AM
I am new to the forum and last night after making 2 stops and letting the bravada idle about 10 minutes each stop, as we started off, when going from 1st to 2nd there was this awful sound like the transmission was going to fall out. I am not a car expert, my husband is a litte, I have read the other posts and we think it is the control valve body according to one of the posts we read. No check engine like came. My husband does not know how to resolve the problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Stewart
04-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the site.
If you're getting a very firm 2nd gear shift with the rest of the shifts normal, including reverse, you're likely looking at getting an updated valve body.
While the pan is off, you might look at updating the shift solenoids with Roostra brand solenoids to head off a shift solenoid failure in the future...I had a shift solenoid go bad on my '97 and it wiped a clutch pack...the whole transmission had to come apart ..$1250.
If you're unsure about a local shop, check with your local Better Business Bureau. Be aware that transmission work, like motor work or even roofing, isn't inexpensive. The shop owner has to keep sending his mechanics to different schools then pay those people a decent wage and benefit package so they'll stay. Add Social Security, uniforms, tools, electricity and natural gas and you see there's more overhead than most people are willing to put up with.
Jes' thought you should know:)

bravadablues
04-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Thank you for your help. My husband drove it yesterday to Walmart and we lost reverse, so we immediately drove it to the transmission place that our neighbors and some friends recommended. We still haven't heard anything back yet, I'm hoping for the best, but I'm thinking it will be the worst!!! I have owned this car since it was new and have put some much money into it. I paid $35,000 for it brand new in 99, and have put about $10,000+ in parts and labor into it, that is not including regular maintenance. I love my bravada, but I just can't afford it anymore! I'll let you know what the finally finding are. Thanks again.:)

Add your comment to this topic!