2005 Chevy Colorado Steering wheel not straight

mlatourette
04-08-2006, 08:52 PM
does anybody know how to make the steering wheel straight ,wheel aleignment is good but wheel os off center about 1/8th of a turn

gmtech79
04-09-2006, 04:52 PM
You would have to get it realigned. reset toe.

RahX
04-09-2006, 10:31 PM
You would have to get it realigned. reset toe.
x2 the guy got the toe right but the steeringwheel wasn't centered properly when he did it.

RalphT
04-23-2006, 05:24 PM
x2 the guy got the toe right but the steeringwheel wasn't centered properly when he did it.

Yep. Toe is not right or you can pull the steering wheel and redial it by rotating it over a few teeth clockwise or counterclockwise as needed. You can do this just as long as the toe is correct. I would double check the toes. You can measure the distance betweeen the front and back of both rims...they should be exactly the same. Otherwise you are rubbing the rubber on the tires, the truck could pull to one side, get worse gas mileage or get scaloping on the tires.

gmtech79
04-23-2006, 09:04 PM
You can reindex the steering wheel as long as there is not have a blind spline (which I am sure it does) but you really should have it realigned.

RahX
04-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Toe doesn't cause a pull :P caster/camber/bad tire cause pulls ;)

RalphT
04-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Toe doesn't cause a pull :P caster/camber/bad tire cause pulls ;)

Oh. thanks RahX. As you can see I am a shadetree mechanic. Still learning though! ;P

I looked up toe problems. What is tracking? It seems bad toe will cause tracking problems. The blind spline design is a good thing to go by so your not confused at to where the steering wheel should be.

RahX
04-24-2006, 02:37 PM
If you don't have the toe set right the steering wheel will be off. The tires take care of themselves, if toe is off they find their middle ground and roll as straight as they can down the road. tracking, or dogtracking, is when the front end isnt aligned properly with the rear tires/thrust line of the vehicle. So basically if you mess that up your front tires are lined perfectly, the steering wheel is straight, everything is right except your front tires are offset a bit one way or the other and it looks like a dog running, its butt is trying to catch the front :)

Add your comment to this topic!