Page updated on 04-22-2018

Temp to high

johndoe_57
04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Hello. I have a 1998 Buick Park Ultra 60k and sometimes the temp gets up to 220 with or without the a/c on. It only gets this high when Im at idle, once I am on the highway or moving at a decent speed 20mph etc it stays at like 189 - 195. Does anybody know what the temp range should be or what could be the problem. I changed the thermostat and the fans are working.

HotZ28
04-06-2006, 09:14 PM
I believe the first fan turns on at 215 deg, if you do not have the AC on. If you do have the AC on, one fan will run as long as the AC is on, regardless of engine temp. Try running the AC to see if it runs cooler. If not, you could have air in the system. Did you bleed the coolant system?

jag_man653
04-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Did you bleed the coolant system?

How is the bleed done? I noticed something that looks like a bleed screw on the thermostat housing, but don't know the procedure. On my Jag I top up the header tnak, let it run for 3 or 4 minutes, then open the bleed until no more spits and poofs. Something like that?

Thanks.

Ed

johndoe_57
04-07-2006, 04:38 PM
No, I have not but how do I bleed the system and I just want to thank you all for this info.

HotZ28
04-07-2006, 10:43 PM
On this particular car, the radiator fill neck is higher than the engine, so therefore the bleeding process is somewhat simplified. Usually, I fill the radiator while cold with the thermostat bleeder open, until coolant flows out the bleeder, then close the bleeder. Keep filling the radiator until it is completely full and install the cap. Start the engine and let it run until it gets warm, also set the heater to hot so coolant circulates through the heater core. After the engine starts to warm up, crack the bleeder valve at the thermostat housing again, to see if any air or steam escapes. If not, you're done. If it does, keep working the bleeder until you see only coolant flowing and no more air escaping. Let the engine cool down and top off the radiator once again. Be sure to keep the coolant level in the overflow tank at the proper level and check it for several days after this process. The whole process is similar to bleeding the brakes! With air in the coolant system, your cooling system will have steam pockets, that in turn will cause “hot spots” and will also give erratic coolant sensor outputs.
Good Luck!":cheers:

DioGreer
04-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I had a high speed fan relay burn out on me once. It would get very hot sitting in traffic, but if I was going fast, it would be all right. A replacement relay fixed the problem.

Also I didnt know which one it was so I did trial and error and picked the right one on the first try. How about that?!? it was the one closest to the drivers side in the maxifuse/relay center.

Add your comment to this topic!