Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Left Or Right-handed Threads?

GZSMOM
04-06-2006, 07:00 PM
ON A 1990 BONNEVILLE WITH A 3800cc V-6, DOES THE CRANKSHAFT HAVE RIGHT OR LEFT HANDED THREADS ON THE END OF IT WHERE THE HARMONIC BALANCER BOLTS ON? IF SOMEONE COULD, SINCE I HAVE NEVER PULLED THIS TYPE OF HARMONIC BALANCER, PLEASE INFORM ME HOW TO PULL AND WHAT TO EXPECT (WITH THE CRANK SENSOR).

THE REASON THAT I AM IN NEED OF THIS INFORMATION IS BECAUSE THE HARMONIC BALANCER IS COMING APART?

OR IS IT?

SINCE THIS PROBLEM HAS STARTED (THE HARMONIC BALANCER SOUNDING LIKE YOU'RE BEATING IT WITH A HAMMER, REAL FAST), I HAVE HEARD A FEW OTHER BONNEVILLES MAKING THIS SAME NOISE. IT MUST BE A COMMON OR REOCCURRING PROBLEM THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE RUN ACROSS.

PLEASE HELP ME SO I CAN FIX THIS, (SO ANNOYING) CLANGING UNDER MY HOOD.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, GZSMOM@YAHOO.COM

maxwedge
04-06-2006, 07:16 PM
r/h thread, go to autozone.com/repairinfo, enter the car info and proceed to repair info for instructions.

richtazz
04-07-2006, 03:21 PM
there are two different style balancers for that year. If your's has a smooth face, that bolt is torqued down to some stupid high spec (like 240ft/lbs) and once the bolt is removed, it should slide out. If it has the three threaded holes for a puller to attach to, then the bolt torque isn't as high, but it requires a special puller tool to remove the balancer, as it is press fit over the crank snout.

Add your comment to this topic!