tow/haul not working

sierra99
04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
I have a 99 silverado 4x4 with a 5.3l that has 118,000 miles. I just noticed the other day that my tow/ haul button is not working....I really do not tow much, but i would like to get it fixed. where does to go from the lever??? is there a sensor or motor to engage this on the tranny somewhere or is it built in the tranny???... is this a major deal or should i leave it alone and deal with it being broken???

silverado122775
04-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I have a 99 silverado 4x4 with a 5.3l that has 118,000 miles. I just noticed the other day that my tow/ haul button is not working....I really do not tow much, but i would like to get it fixed. where does to go from the lever??? is there a sensor or motor to engage this on the tranny somewhere or is it built in the tranny???... is this a major deal or should i leave it alone and deal with it being broken???

it is most likely the switch on the lever. it mau also be a fuse too.

pnewcomb1
04-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Mine was a broken wire in the steering column...two screws to drop the bottom cover off...orange wire if memory serves...put on a piece of shrink tube...soldered the wire...shrunk the tube...buttoned it back up...

jaxondes
04-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Had the same problem on our 2000 gmc work truck - wire was broken at the base of the gear shift.

sierra99
04-11-2006, 09:08 AM
thanks guys..I will look there....will update...

Dacatocham
07-24-2006, 03:05 PM
What turned out to be the problem. My 2000 chevy silverado z71 pickup tow/haul quit working about a year ago and I blew off fixing it because the chevy dealership didn't seem to know anything about these. Now I need it and want to fix it. The dealer couldn't even tell me where the fuse is located or what it is labeled.

Dacatocham
08-04-2006, 09:11 AM
I'll be danged. It was indeed the broken orange wire at the base of the gear shift lever. I soldered and insulated and now the tow/haul works again. Thanks.

Mungaman
08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey---thanks for the info---my 2000 Chev Suburban tow/haul switch was also a victim to the broken orange wire. Repaired myself and back in business--(by the way, a repair shop wanted $160.00 to replace/repair the problem)

JimMartin
05-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Just fixed mine today. Both wires where broken. EZ fix! Thanks for the advise!

Darto55
05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Add another broken orange wire to the list. My tow/haul light has not worked since I bought the truck. It's an '01 and I bought it in 2011. I assumed it was something major tranny wise. Googled it an ended up here.
Pulled the boot back and there was the broken orange wire.
Please note the orange wire has two white wires inside. Both wires have to be connected and insulated. I used a short wire pair to exted the wires and make it easier to connect them.

Reinout
07-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks a lot, it was the orange wire on mine also. The lower cover was snapped in place, no screws

19Hillary69
02-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Can't disassemble the steering column plastics. Removed the two screws and separated the plastic somewhat but can't see how to get it off the tilt wheel lever on the left. And the part of the plastic under the dash doesn't separate. Lastly, does the bottom plastic come all the way off? Mine is a 2000 Silverado. Thanks in advance. Love the thread. Any pics?

j cAT
02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Can't disassemble the steering column plastics. Removed the two screws and separated the plastic somewhat but can't see how to get it off the tilt wheel lever on the left. And the part of the plastic under the dash doesn't separate. Lastly, does the bottom plastic come all the way off? Mine is a 2000 Silverado. Thanks in advance. Love the thread. Any pics?

the plastic covers come off with special screw sockets. this does have screws to remove to open the shift lever area to repair the broken tow mode switch wire. [wire was OEM too short]

go to an automotive locksmith for hands on help , if you cannot find pictures or manuals that give this in detailed form.

19Hillary69
02-29-2012, 09:25 PM
How does the handle on the tilt lever handle come off? I have the two screws out. I'm a good mechanic and have all the tools to do any thing, just haven't seen how to continue the disassembly. Thanks for the reply.

Joel

19Hillary69
02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
This site may be helpful to me....and others.....showing disassembly.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,42089.msg1630689.html#msg1630689

19Hillary69
02-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Sounds like I am the only one fighting the covers on the steering column to get access. After much googling I find these two sites that are very helpful. So for any others in my situation, try these.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6245008_remove-cover-2000-chevy-truck.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_7248969_do-remove-steering-cover-silverado_.html

j cAT
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM
This site may be helpful to me....and others.....showing disassembly.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,42089.msg1630689.html#msg1630689

that info should get you going. good detailed info/pictures.

I knew it was out there .

19Hillary69
03-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Finally fixed mine by soldering in extensions to both white wires in the orange casing. Now works great. My problem with removing the lever on the left which allows the movement of the steering wheel. People just said pull it out....sounded easy but my fingers couldn't do it. Finally made a wire loop over it and jerked the wire, lever came right off. Thanks for all the help.

heckufaguy
04-27-2013, 08:40 AM
I joined just to say THANKS!

Purchased a used 2000 suburban for towing our travel trailer and hit the column switch...and nothing.
my Orange wire looked intact, under the first fastener on the column. But a light tug and it came apart. Soldered in a little longer wires, and I'm back in business.

Thanks alot everyone!

chevy54307
10-05-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't see a broken wire on my 04... I then tested each wire with a test light to see if either one had power to then and they didn't any ideas on where to go from here ?

j cAT
10-06-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't see a broken wire on my 04... I then tested each wire with a test light to see if either one had power to then and they didn't any ideas on where to go from here ?

first your use of a test light is not to be used to troubleshoot these modern computer controlled vehicles. now if you have some trailers or pre 1975 type vehicles lawnmowers or even some electrical house wiring test lights can be used.

with a volt ohm meter you will find that the wires are with a break. you will use the ohms scale / resistance ability of the meter. the vehicle will be off . you do not check for volts .

as was mentioned many times with this issue ///// the wires are too short they then break. the insulation looks good but the small copper conductor breaks. good luck .

Add your comment to this topic!