Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

235 c.i. and small block bellhousing bolt pattern? mounts?

94tegRS
04-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I am looking into a older 65 or 66 chevy, the one specifically is a 65 w/ a 235 I6 to a 4 on the floor. I would wanna replace it with a small block V8 someday and I was wondering if the trannies are interchangable so that I could bolt it in and keep the 4 speed and have minimal parts/labor required. also if the pattern is different, were there different 4 speed manuals available then, and if so are they all strong enough to handle the torque of a built SB. I am planning on a 400ci cuz thats what I had to a 4 spd in my old 66 and I MISS it!.

also I was wondering aqbout the 64's. I know 65 and 66 are the same, and I know 62 and 62 look somewhat the same but I HATE how the winshield wraps around and the doors shape is weird to fit to the winshield. and I dont know if the 64 does.

CD Smalley
04-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I'd guess that tranny is the standard 4-speed they put in every truck of that era. Pickups to 2 ton trucks. I'd wager it has a "cattle feedin'" low gear. that's the kind you can let the clutch out at idle and get out and walk behind the truck to feed the cattle.

I'd recommend swapping in a 5-speed or 6-speed over using that 4-speed. there are plenty of these which have been done. There is even a write up on a web page on how to do it. It think it's the stovebolt web page. Do a google for stovebolt, six and 5-speed., you'll find it.

Add your comment to this topic!