Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 CV code 211..help!

Infinitrium
04-05-2006, 11:16 PM
I bought a 93 CV LX back in February and I've been having ignition problems with it since then. The problem has been getting worse to where I haven't been driving it for 3 weeks because it's so bad. The problem seems to be ignition related, it just feels like the ignition totally dies, then kicks back in. It does this at totally random times. I bought a cheap Equus code scanner, and I got a code 211 for Profile Ignition Pickup circuit fault. So far I haven't been able to find any info whatsoever as to what can cause that code and how to repair it. As far as I know so far, it's either the ignition module, PCM, coil packs, cam or crank sensor or a bunch of other things. Someone PLEEEEASE help me out here. It's driving me mad to have a $1500 dollar pile of steel sitting in my yard that I can't drive.

cobradude360
04-06-2006, 02:07 PM
try disconnecting the battery then disconnecting the ignition module located on the driver fender under the engine compartment and make sure the connections a good and clean i beleave there was a tsb on this if anyone knows what this is please corect me but thats what i would check also how many miles are on it?

way2old
04-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Good call cobradude. Usually a 211 is the ignition module.

Infinitrium
04-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I was kinda leaning toward an ignition module problem myself. The car has 180000 miles on it. So I unhook the battery, then unplug the ignition module and just check to see if the contacts are clean? I should clean up the ground on the fender too I suppose. I think I'll hit the junkyard tomorrow and get another ignition module and try that one too to see if it makes any difference.

Infinitrium
04-06-2006, 08:44 PM
I did manage to find a TSB about the ignition module.

95102 VEHICLES MAY HAVE A DISCONNECT OF THE IGNITION CONTROL MODULE (ICM) CONNECTOR OR MOISTURE BUILDUP WITHIN THE CONNECTOR.

Wow, that tells me a lot. Someone explain it to me.

way2old
04-07-2006, 06:30 PM
It means there may be moisture built up in the connector causing loss of signal to PCM. Makes PCM trip code and might even keep vehicle from starting.

Infinitrium
04-07-2006, 07:07 PM
I pulled the plug off the module, no moisture. I grabbed some WD40, sprayed it onto the connector, shook it to get rid of the excess then reconnected it and drove the car. No change. Maybe the module itself is bad?

Infinitrium
04-08-2006, 12:13 PM
I went up to the junkyard a few hours ago and started looking for an ignition module. 2 CV's didn't have the modules, a 3rd one did but it appeared to be glued onto the fender, one Town Car had an odd looking module. The very last CV I found in the yard had the module and I removed it. It's a proper Motorcraft module, not some aftermarket piece like what was on my CV. Came home, installed it, plugged it in and went for a spin. Problem solved! I drove it for almost 30 minutes and it's not bucking any more. I can still feel a very slight hitching when I'm in 2nd, but that can probably be explained away by my very worn spark plugs, bad wires or the vacuum leak I have. I'll have to unhook the battery for 20 minutes, hook it back up and plug my code reader into the car and see if I still get that code 211. I'm so glad that $25 dollar JY module cured my problem.

cobradude360
04-08-2006, 03:06 PM
well there u go i would change the plugs and wires and fix the vacum leaks but other then that not bad 25$ compared to what ford would charge u

Add your comment to this topic!