Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wondering

barkercustoms
04-04-2006, 04:11 PM
ok what is with the second fuel guage thing. the normal E to F and then the E to 1/4, does it go down to E on the first Gauge and then back up, i am just wondering cuase i fill it up the first time it goes to E and i know its a 19 gallon tank, and i only put 12 in it each time. one more thing how many miles to the gallon should a 86 NA get just a ballpark figure would be good. thank you Paul

Hodo
04-06-2006, 12:00 PM
honestly this is one of the many oddities that Z owners have had to adjust to over the years. Personally I think its because the fuel return lines return fuel after a hard accelleration faster than what was expected and the fuel level sensor is well old and slow to read the changes. Most Z owners never drive their Z till it stops to find out how much fuel it actually takes to fill up. But I can say that I have driven mine well into the E zone and filled up its still only took 15 gallons. I would venture to say the Z32 gas tank is only a 17gallon tank, but when you add in all the fuel lines and everything else it could end up being close to 19 gall.

longlivetheZ
04-10-2006, 06:09 PM
That's kinda far fetched, man. It's just a magnified gauge. You have the big gauge that shows you how much is in the tank, then, once that gauge gets low enough, the little gauge behind it will show you how much gas you have left in more detail. I keep so little gas in my car (88 Z31) at any given time that I haven't seen the big gas gauge move in over a year. You can let the big one go all the way down if you want...you just better be somewhere when the LITTLE ONE gets on 0.

And the official fuel capacity is 19 gallons.

You can expect ~30 mpg on the freeway and mid 20s around town depending on the car and the way you drive. When I moved to florida however many years ago, I kept track of what my mileage was. I was getting 31 or 32 mpg consistantly the whole way down (I live(d) in northern kentucky). And this was a car with ~140000 miles on it (or something like that) that was loaded with shit, using the A/C and driving about 85 mph the whole way down...

That was the first Z I had, an 86 2+2. I don't know what kind of mileage my current Z31 gets cuz the speedometer doesn't work and when that doesn't work, neither does the odometer. My car has been perpetually stuck at 119,299 miles (I think) since I got it. I don't know what kind of mileage my last Z got, an 86T with a 5-speed, cuz I never checked but it wasn't bad...especially considering the way I drove it. Drove the PISS outta that car. I can personally verify that the valve springs on the VG are good to 7000 rpm...:biggrin: I even delivered pizzas in it for a while! lol It got better mileage then the car I delivered in before that...an 86 Celica GT-S with a 5 speed. That fucker was geared SO high...you'd be screaming along at about 4500 rpm at 75mph in 5th gear!

Add your comment to this topic!