Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

friend needs a car for <$11k

neogeon
04-04-2006, 10:24 AM
OK, i've been trying to help my friend find a car but all I've found even close to worth a damn locally in that price range is a an automatic 4 door integra LS with 57k miles for $10,990. The only problem he has with it is that it just feels too damn slow, mostly on account of the ridiculously high gearing and the fact you have to revv it to inifinity for ANY power.

Now, on to the criteria:
must be $11k or less
preferably japanese
a car (no truck/suv/etc.)
back seats and a pretty decent trunk (no miata's, etc)
all of louisiana and as far as houston, TX is possible territory
needs to be perfectly (relatively) reliable and not dirt slow in stock form (no suggestions of EG with swap, needs to not require any work to be in good running order)
modding potential is an interest
wants it to FEEL fast but not necessarily run the fastest 1/4 mile, etc. so torque>actual acceleration numbers (not planning on racing)
willing to drive either auto or manual (preferably manual)

He really wants an 03+ hyundai tiburon either in the 4 cyl or 6 cyl, does anyone know if those are indeed reliable? I suggested a 98-01 5 speed altima since i've driven one and they have decent torque so they aren't painfully slow feeling to drive, however they are very hard to find for some reason. I'v e also seen a few spec v's going on ebay with somewhat high mileage for about $11k and he really likes 02-03 (preferably 02) spec v's (though he doesn't like any other sentras, especially B13/B14), so if anyone knows where someone is selling an 02 spec v relatively close to LA or east TX, that would be helpful.

The worst thing about all of this is that he plans to get this car and then immediately drive from louisiana to california so it definently cant be a car that needs TLC (unless its just cosmetic like MAYBE a faded clear coat or some minor interior damage). Any good listing websites or perhaps names of good used car dealers in Baton Rouge, LA or Houston, TX would also be appreciated (with a link to the site or phone number).

I thought this would be alot easier to find a car but almost everything under $11k is really a totally ragged out mess with trashed paint. Hopefully someone on here will know of someone somewhere selling something in the price range that isn't a total wreck.

made4speed11
04-04-2006, 12:22 PM
don't know of any places around there for cars, but used dealerships are usually not a good place to buy cars. private party is best for price and they arn't usually as good at temporarily hiding flaws in a car such as resetting check engine lights and the like. and if an integra is slow for him and the power only at high rps bothers him it sounds like he's not looking for a 4 cyl. cause anything stock is like that. try online like www.autotrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com)

neogeon
04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
that's not necessarily true, its a matter of displacement. Both my car (spec v) and my sister's 2000 altima both have very torquey 4 cylinders and feel pretty fast compared to most cars. Its just the matter that honda completely and totally sucks at making a car that isn't idiot proof (in other words, not fun to drive at all). Also, 2nd gear tops out at 70 mph in the integra, so watching the revvs climb is like waiting on christmas. Hes going to look at a modded 240sx by a private owner soon and ill see if the owner did a decent job or totally fucked the car up.

made4speed11
04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
alright GL with that. the nissans i havn't heard too much about but they are cheap on resale value for the 240's and 300's possibly becuase they are unreliable. i'll check ito it for u if u like.

pimprolla112
04-07-2006, 12:01 AM
11k is alot for an LS, unless its in mint condition then the owner is insane, maybe a GSR but a LS they might be crazy. Since when was 7200 a high redline thats only 700-1500 above most of the other imports in the market. The LS makes enough power to get off the line with basic mods. Hell if he looks around or just asks around word of mouth can be insane, i got a 90 accord only has 1 dent from when someone backed into it in the rear passenger side door, and had a blown head gasket. Not bad for less than 1000. Autotrader and ebay for local listings, that way you can go look at it, test drive it etc.

Add your comment to this topic!